Marking Issues In The House

I'm looking for some suggestions for a friend of mine. His 4 year old male (non-grey) mix has starting marking in the house, mostly in the living room where my friend will sit to watch tv or read. The dogs name is Bear. My friend thinks it's because they are both males, but I'm not convinced it's that. His wife and daughter are home all day so Bear does get let outside. I asked him how much attention/exercise Bear gets. He said he hates to be alone so he is always by someone. I told him that that doesn't mean he's not bored. This marking activity has just started and they know it's not a bladder issue. Also, it's hard because they never catch him doing it to correct him.

First thing he is going to do is clean the carpet and the furniture. I also told him that it wouldn't hurt for him to start being more of the main caretaker when he is home if it truly is a male vs. male situation. I have had three male dogs in a house full of male humans and none of my dogs have ever done this. Nothing in their home has changed other than getting a new couch last summer.

So I'm looking for any thoughts/suggestions that you all may have that I can share with him.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

How do they "know" it's not a bladder issue? A previously housebroken dog who starts marking/peeing indoors is a rather obvious candidate for UTI. I'd try ruling out medical first as it is a whole lot easier to fix than behavioral.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I told him to definitely make sure it's not a UTI or bladder issue. That is the easy fix. If it is behavioral, I believe the dog is seeking attention based on what I know about the family. He works all day, daughter 1 works from home, but is working, not totally paying attention to the dog. Daughter 2 is 17 and in school and has after school activities, etc. Wifey, lays in bed all day (that's a whole different story). He gets let out, but he's not getting walks, or played with etc. Work friend does do some things with the dog as much as he can, but he's the only one.

I think there are three options here.

1. Find out for sure if it's medical.

2. If not, wifey needs to start paying more attention to Bear and get him out for walks. There is no reason why she can't. She is home all day doing nothing.

3. If she won't take responsibility because she is home all day, then Bear needs to be rehomed.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17