The Dreaded Garbage Truck

Well really any big truck for that matter, or a pickup that's diesel and idling, or a cube van or a moving truck or a bus or or or.

Ryder has now gotten to the point where he's on the lookout to HEAR the squeaky wheels of a truck. And if he gets sight of a big truck it's game over.

We were walking this morning, and he did his #1 and #2, but our 10 minute walk usually yields one more little #1 and #2. I also am aware I'm going to be a little late getting home today and to top it off, he was rather thirsty this morning, so his tank will be maxxed out by the time the day is done.

He saw the garbage truck and immediately turned to run the other way. I gave in, because I have tried many many times in the past and it just wasn't worth fighting him today to overcome the fear. So we walked back home the way we came and he was determined to just get home. No additional sniffing, no other attempts to eliminate. Big time army march back to the safety of base camp.

I thought, let me just finish getting ready and in another 20 mins I'll take him out in the backyard. So we go to the backyard and he thinks about peeing, but is humming and hawing. So I thought, lets just go out to the blvd where his favorite fire hydrant is, he'll go there! As soon as we peaked through the trees, there was the garbage truck! MY LUCK! So back to the house we went. I decided after the truck passed, we'd go again to the hydrant. The truck was BACKING UP on the other side of the road.

Clearly this truck was out to get Ryder today and was stalking him. I feel bad for the guy on one hand, but on the other hand nothing bad has EVER happened to him. He's 8, I've worked with him since 2 to get over his fears of loud sounds (compression type that is related to trucks, and idling, etc.) and I really don't see any point to continue to do so. :( I'm just here to vent.....

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I feel your pain! Allie (nongrey) has issues with certain dogs in the neighborhood and she just will not let it rest! The dog I called "Allie's Enemy" has died (that one scared her *once* just after we got her, 5 years ago, and she hated him with every ounce of her body) and now she hates another dog that looks nothing like A.E. (a third the size, female instead of male, and white instead of black) who has never done anything to her and who doesn't even acknowledge that she exists. Sometimes you just have to shake your head at dogs and their issues.

Sorry you had so many aborted potty trips, and I wish you no messes when you get home!

Rocket recognizes the diesel engine of the UPS, Fedex and other trucks. He runs to the door hoping there's going to be a package and a treat. The UPS guy in IL spoiled him, and the UPS guys in AZ apparently don't carry any treats. He is always disappointed, but he never stops hoping.

Can you have the trash truck driver give him a milk bone a few times and see if it helps? Of course, you might just start a different bad habit.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Can you have the trash truck driver give him a milk bone a few times and see if it helps? Of course, you might just start a different bad habit.

I don't think I would be able to get him close enough!

I have had actually limited success with idling fire trucks.......there is usually a truck load of firemen that are busy doing things to distract him from the sound of the big scary truck. Presumably if something else interesting, but REALLY interesting, is going on, he'll give it a second look - but if it's accompanied by a bang - lets say a dock lowering to the ground or a moving van and people moving furniture loudly, all bets are off.

I can't imagine what would happen if I get him a comfortable distance close enough to a truck and a person and an unexpected sound happens....it might just send him right into the air (or the ground!)

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I don't think I would be able to get him close enough!

I have had actually limited success with idling fire trucks.......there is usually a truck load of firemen that are busy doing things to distract him from the sound of the big scary truck. Presumably if something else interesting, but REALLY interesting, is going on, he'll give it a second look - but if it's accompanied by a bang - lets say a dock lowering to the ground or a moving van and people moving furniture loudly, all bets are off.

I can't imagine what would happen if I get him a comfortable distance close enough to a truck and a person and an unexpected sound happens....it might just send him right into the air (or the ground!)

I understand completely. For Rocket, the noise that freaks him out is the air brakes or the "Jake Brake" when a truck is slowing down. We had him in a rest area on a cross country trip, and the dog walking area was right where the 18 wheelers decelerate when coming off the interstate. I thought my arm was going to pull out of the socket while trying to hold the leash. Otherwise, he loves trucks except for the "air" noises.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life