Ok To Continue ?

Ruby is so picky that half the time she was not eating more than a third of a cup of kibble a day. Many of you know that she just wouldn't eat no matter what I added to her food. About 2 weeks ago I had some chicken that I didn't have any ideas for and I boiled it up with some rice and extra water, and used it on Ruby's food at every meal. Since then I have used low sodium chicken broth to make the rice, so no added meat. She looks like she has gained some weight and looks healthier. Poo is normal and zero tooting, which is wonderful !! I also stopped giving her Prilosec and she has had zero vomiting.

Is there any reason why I should not continue giving her white rice every day ? I have been giving her 1 cup of kibble, 1/2 cup or so of rice, and warm water. She hasn't turned up her nose once. She is eating 2 cups of kibble a day instead of 3, which is what the bag says. Does this seem like a reasonable thing to continue or does she need the protein and other things in the 1 cup of kibble she is missing ?

Edited to add that her HORRIBLE fish breath is gone completely even though her kibble is salmon.

Edited by Busderpuddle

Karen

Rice is a main ingredient in my dogs' diet. They don't get dog food at all and get between 1 to 2 1/2 cups of rice each (depending on weight of dog) for dinner and a smaller amount for breakfast. They also get veggies, oatmeal, apples, and meat/fish (also yogurt, toast, and peanut butter for snacks). Depending on how much rice you give, you might have to supplement with vitamins/calcium. My dogs get the low end of protein requirement each day and do fine .. and they are checked yearly to make sure their levels are OK. In fact, one of my dogs with slight kidney issues would start having problems when he got too much protein with too much & too often peeing.

I'm not an expert by any means but the message I keep hearing over and over again on this forum related to food is "if it works, go with it". Unless your vet has concerns, if she seems to be doing well, is gaining weight, muscle tone is good, coat is good, etc I don't see any reason to stop. :dunno

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20