Probiotics Or Psyllium Husk For Runny Poop?

Guest HannaTalk

Guest HannaTalk

Hello,

Our Grey is about 4 years old, and has tested negative for parasites. She poops and at first it's hard and "normal" and then the last bit is just super runny and she strains to get the rest out. I have Psyllium Husk powder I was considering giving her (not sure how to give it to her yet, though) but was curious if there are other OTC solutions? Do you give your grey a daily probioitic or anything to help firm things up? Sometimes she lays around like her belly might hurt so I need to find something cause it's not getting better.

Thanks!

Edited by HannaTalk

Psyllium husks work great, I have used them in the past to firm things up. I add about a tsp or so.

On a side note: it can be quite normal for greys to have firm poops, but then runny ones at the end. I don't really think it is diet related usually, just a weird thing greyhounds do :)

the first poop on a walk with my worm free dogs is usually firm, the second softer and if they continue to go after that it's awful. what i do is add one heaping tablespoons of white rice to their food. i do not use canned food, just kibble and water so they are DELIGHTED with this simple add-in! and all poops are firm. i also cut down on the amount of food per feeding if the poops are loose. it's quite remarkable but these dogs do not need a ton of food. #76 male gets 1 1/2-2/3 c twice a day, #65 female- 1 1/3c +rice. when they are overfed the poops are mushy to the point of runny.