Back/neck Out Again

Guest brit1

I have an appointment with my vet at 12:30 as my non grey (55lb mix somewhat similar build to a grey) woke up yesterday looking stiff and uncomfortable again. Just a couple weeks ago I took him in to vet for same reason but he was already feeling much better and she did a chiro adjustment and he walked out of there completely normal. Have had several similar episodes in the past year. But now I am really worried and distressed as he didn't improve yesterday (I am out of medication, I think she gave Tramadol before altho last couple times a Boswellia herbal mix she gave me helped tremendously but not this time) and this morning seems worse! Walking sideways, unable to move his head to one side :( I adopted him when he was 7mo from a shelter, he is 9 1/2yo now. Always been healthy and because I got him young (most dogs I have adopted in past 10 years were older or seniors (1 dog with seizures, 1 with autoimmune disease and last adopted senior with brain tumor) and always fed him a home made diet and tried to do everything "right" I thought he would be free of some horrible problem and live a long, healthy life. In fact right now he is my everything and the thought of him having something that will shorten or ruin his life has me panicking. So altho I do not know yet what is causing this (I originally related it to him getting on and off a picnic table at dog park which I no longer take him to) I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar situation. I have taken the box spring off my bed so he can easily get up and down (in fact if anyone knows of a good platform bed please let me know so I can order one) but he does get on and off sofa but its not high. I walk him in a harness btw. brit

Is he a shortcoat? My physio recommends a hot water bottle or one of these little sacks filled with grains (I don't know the english word for them - Koernerkissen) you heat up in the microwave. I lay those sacks on the dogbed in my dogs' back and put a blanket on them for some time, ten minutes or so.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Just came back from vet, he is much better, more able to walk and tail and head are up. Got pain pills for him and also acupuncture and chiro. They do xrays there but she didn't feel it necessary. Any tips on preventing reoccurence of this? brit

If its IVDD then you just need to accept the fact it is a very serious issue that can usually at least be managed usually with possible meds like tramadol and robaxin. But it has been my experience that they are NEVER "OK" or cured again. They are injured and their activity MUST be toned down from the carefree younger days prior to injury. Everytime they run too hard or jump too high or do anything really, there is a risk that it will set off another episode by re-injuring it and thats assuming you can get them over the current presentation without daily meds. Thats what I know form hard experience with several hounds. And yes it can be so bad they go down paralyzed from it. I've had that happen too. To try and prevent re-occurence you must control/restrict the activity.