Seresto: Safe For Greys?

Guest BeardedDogLady

Guest BeardedDogLady

My Grey, Kit, and I visit my mom's house often. My mom has two dogs and three cats. A couple months ago, she found out that all of her animals had fleas. At that point, she started giving everyone Frontline. I have been giving Kit Frontline every 30 days since I got her so I thought that it would be safe for her to be in my mom's house. For the past two weeks, I've noticed Kit itching a lot more. Then the other day, I noticed a patch of scabs by the base of her tail. She definitely has fleas now so I guess Frontline isn't doing what the box says that it does.

Last week, I found worms on two of my mom's cats. When my mom went to pick up de-wormer for everyone (including Kit), she told the vet's office how she couldn't get rid of the fleas and they recommended the flea collar Seresto. I've never heard good things about flea collars and I usually take product recommendations at the vets with a grain of salt, especially when they carry pamphlets for that product.

Is Seresto Greyhound safe? Does anyone have any experience using it? Does anyone have any other recommendations for flea treatment?

My understanding of flea meds is that it only breaks the life cycle of the fleas. Your dog can still GET fleas, but they will not be able to hatch from eggs that are laid on the host. You can't prevent the fleas from jumping on one animal or another, only that they can't keep breeding.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest xengab

Another dog owner uses these for her rotti. She said it was great for keeping the fleas off the front end of the dog, but the rear end was covered in fleas. Might be ok for small dogs or short bodied dogs.

She now gives Comfortis and no more fleas. Im under the impression the oils frm the collar are meant to travel all over the dogs body, but that takes time and the killing power runs out before then.

Frontline and Advantage havent been working in my area, oral flea meds are what is being recommended.

i was about to purchase the Soresto collars, but i needed something that minute, my dogs picked up texas hitchhikers while i was traveling and my son-in-law was watching them in san antonio. the more reasonable prices, target, walmart, amazon all took to long to be delivered. i bathed them, waiting for them to dry thoroughly- did remove quite a few fleas and then treated w/ frontline plus. yes, the posts say wait 48 hrs after a bath, but i spoke directly to Merial the manufacturer and they said as long as the dogs are dry. it took 4 days to kill all the fleas, but i went over them daily with an old fashioned flea comb and found the lethargic buggers and killed them manually. within 4 days the fleas and feces are gone. i personally like frontline plus since my dogs have not had any reactions and are tick free when used. i have applied it every 3 weeks when necessary but it can last as long as 6 weeks. so, if i'm tardy in the application it still works.

the original dawn dish soap kills fleas without insecticides, i always wash all bedding and vacuums like mad, throw out the bag when i'm done. years ago i used to put a cheap flea collar in the vacuum bag.

Yes, Seresto is safe.

No, it does not INSTANTLY kill a flea that might jump on your dog.

It's easy enough with a Greyhound to run a flea comb over the dog and get them off if there are a few strays. That's what I did when Buck came back from "camp" with some fleas.

We have since switched to NexGuard, which is an oral, since the Seresto collar is just so darned ugly!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck