Sudden Peeing In A Certain Spot

Guest jvandover

Guest jvandover

Lovie started to pee on the floor in the basement, right at the bottom of the stairs, about 6 months ago. It is usually only a small spot, with a couple exceptions like today, and she ONLY pees in the basement, if it is gated off, she never pees upstairs. For those reasons, I have thought it was behavioral, not medical, or that she isn't going out enough. We did end up taking her to the vet a few weeks ago, he did an ultrasound and a urinalysis which were both negative, but gave us antibiotics anyways, as he thought she may have a bladder infection.

She is still peeing whenever she gets in the basement. The obvious solution is to gate it off, which I have been doing, but I hate to do it, and every time we slip up she gets downstairs and pees (like this morning). She doesn't seem to pee when we are there, only one time long ago my roommate caught her in the act and told her no and shooed her upstairs. I have cleaned the spot repeatedly with an enzyme cleaner, but it does nothing to deter her.

Any help or suggestions?

Assuming the floor is concrete, urine WILL soak in and it will be very, very difficult to get out the smell so that a dog cannot smell it.

I hate to say the simple solution is the obvious one--close the door--but it is.

Some people have good luck starting to feed a dog in the spot they're urinating on. Never worked for me.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest jvandover

Assuming the floor is concrete, urine WILL soak in and it will be very, very difficult to get out the smell so that a dog cannot smell it.

I hate to say the simple solution is the obvious one--close the door--but it is.

Some people have good luck starting to feed a dog in the spot they're urinating on. Never worked for me.

It's carpeted actually (black carpet, you cannot see it until you step in it) I think we will replace it soon. Yeah, for now I will keep a gate up, but it is a shame, as she used to hang out on the futon in my office with me while I was at my computer.

I could try feeding her downstairs I suppose...

But is there concrete UNDER the carpet? Enzyme cleaners are pretty good, but if urine soaked into the floor....

I know of what I speak. My last greyhound peed ALL THE TIME on my carpet. When I sold my condo, even though there were no stains at all on the carpet, I'm sure the concrete underneath was stained.

The new owner ripped out the carpet on day one to install hardwood floors and I was glad our transaction was complete because I'm sure she was probably horrified when she saw the stains that must have been there.

The powder from www.planeturine.com is excellent, by the way. Sucks the urine out of the carpet rather than diluting and spreading it, like all liquid cleaners do.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Hey there. How old is Lovie? I moved from a condo to a house when (angel) Indy was almost seven. The first 4th of July in my new neighborhood was an absolute nightmare. Sounded like the Battle of Gettysburg was in my backyard. It was just awful. The windows were rattling. Poor Indy was a distraught mess. Spent three hours hiding in my shower stall. Although he had never pottied in the new house before, that night he peed in the corner of the living room - and that became "the place." Definitely behavioral.

After constantly cleaning the carpet, I finally wised up and spread out an old flannel-backed vinyl tablecloth in Indy's potty "corner." Placed pee pads (from medical supply or pet store) on top of the tablecloth. Works great when a pet potties in a particular area only.

However, subsequently I adopted two male dogs who peed on furniture, electrical wall outlets, the fireplace, carpet, and then some -- so tough to deal with random peeing.

If Lovie insists on peeing in the basement, I would set up a "rest area" for her! Worth a try. Good luck!

Edited by IndyandHollyluv

I have no personal experience with this (peeing on carpet yes, concrete no), but just a thought, there are concrete sealants. I wonder if following their cleaning process and then using one before replacing the carpet would be a good idea?

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I've never had a dog pee where they eat!this may sound strange but peeing in a specific spot can become a bad habit. It sounds like that's what you have. I have tried every cleaning agent when this happened.....aside from removing the rug my solution is an easy fix. Or,don't let him go to the basement.

Edited by cleptogrey