Lump On Underside Of Tail

I noticed a lump on the underside of Indy's tail this evening. It's about half way down his tail and is probably about the size of the first segment of my little finger. Any idea what it might be? His tail is going 24/7 and thwaps against every surface imaginable so it's possible he hit it against something (especially given his dislike of last night's fireworks). Seems like an odd place for that though. It doesn't seem to really bother him so maybe I shouldn't be concerned, but thought I'd ask anyway.

I tried to get pictures of it with my phone; they're not the best but might help.

20d91cd9-543c-4da0-be11-e0a33961d7a9.jpg

47a1d16d-da33-42ce-a259-7b719d03c1b3.jpg

Thanks!

I don't want to worry you unduly, but it could be tail gland hyperplasia, or even an adenoma arising from the concentration of sebaceous glands in that area. Hopefully it is just an injury from some unknown trauma, but it is best to ask your vet to investigate. They get 'stud tail' on the top side of the tail.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll see if I can get a vet appointment to check it out. I hope it's just an injury too, though if I can't have that I'll cross my fingers that it's benign and not malignant.

Ironically, I was contemplating the pet insurance question last week but put it off with the other things that we had going on. This'll teach me... :riphair

Has the appearance of a cyst. Your vet will need to aspirate it. You can still get insurance-apply today. Many policy's have a 15 day grace period before they become active. Hold off on going to your vet until that grace period is over. I don't believe it would be harmful to wait the 2 weeks to see your vet (unless if grows quickly or changes shape or color). How old is your hound? Don't quote me but, I don't think they need a wellness exam if they are younger than 7. (I'm referring to Healthypaws).

Has the appearance of a cyst. Your vet will need to aspirate it. You can still get insurance-apply today. Many policy's have a 15 day grace period before they become active. Hold off on going to your vet until that grace period is over. I don't believe it would be harmful to wait the 2 weeks to see your vet (unless if grows quickly or changes shape or color). How old is your hound? Don't quote me but, I don't think they need a wellness exam if they are younger than 7. (I'm referring to Healthypaws).

I was looking at Healthy Paws today too; he's 3.5 and would require an exam sometime in the past year. The last "true" wellness exam he had was when we adopted him about 13 months ago (figures), but I'll ask the vet if the check they did before his dental in Feb would count towards that.

So the bad news is his last full wellness exam needed for insurance was over a year ago and doesn't qualify. But the good news it the vet aspirated it and said it was just a cyst, nothing to worry about. Yay! The next time he's under anesthesia for something else like a dental she'll cauterize it to keep it from growing back; in the meantime I can just call him Lumpy :)