Tic Fever & Hypothyroid Diagnosis

Guest stormsmom

Guest stormsmom

My Storm was diagnosed with Tic Fever and Hypothyroid today. I feel awful. I got her just a few months ago and have been trying to figure out what was wrong. She was pretty good when we first got her, but things have been going downhill. We weren't sure what was causing the problems. I have never had a pet with any issues, so to get news of both on the same day is tough. Our vet has been really good, but I am just worried about the tic fever. Has anyone had experience with Tic Fever? Storm is on strong antibiotics for the next 30 days, but is there anything else we can do? She now has meds for the thyroid too.

Her thyroid numbers were:

T4 - .6

Free T4 - less than .3

Thanks

Storm's Mom

I assume tick fever ='s a tick borne disease. You also can not determine if a dog is hypothyroid while sick --he'll be euthyroid.

Edited to add--you always need to get a TSH (ghs T4/FT4's are typically low). Retest once your dog is well.

Edited by tbhounds

Guest stormsmom

Thank you! These are very helpful. I will bookmark that site.

I had never heard of Tick Fever (aka brown down tick). The conversation with the vet sounded a little scary, but getting a little more education and knowing that she should start to feel better in a couple days is making me feel a little better.

I will have her thyroid tested again after she is well.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

You may also look for a vet that has greyhound experience (it would appear that your vet doesn't understand the different physiological idiosyncrasies of the greyhound). If you adopted through a group, maybe ask if they have recommendations.

Stormsmom, since you don't have enough posts to PM, email me at this address (minus the spaces) maco duck@ ec.rr .com

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

She'll need to be weaned off the thyroid medication and be off for at least 6 weeks before retesting. Honestly, I wouldn't have started a sick dog on thyroid supplement. I would have treated the tick disease first and waited to see if she has any signs of hypothyroidism after she's recovered from that.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg