Threw Up White Foam, Is It Time To Panic?

Guest Joni

Guest Joni

Hey guys - Violet was hanging out in the backyard with our family when she started making horking noises and eventually expelled a small amount of white foam onto the grass. Should I panic? I'm always worried about bloat and I know that's one of the signs. She's not otherwise acting strange - she threw up foam and then immediately resumed her game of "try to steal the pizza crusts from the human's plate." We let her in and she went for her dinner bowl (I put it up - if she has bloat I don't want her eating, right?) and when she couldn't get to that, Violet started nosing the trash can. :) So is white foamy vomit an immediate trip to the E-vet, or is it likely a sign of something else since she's not showing any of the other signs of bloat?

(Violet does have a bit of an acid reflux problem, so her throwing up is not unusual at all.)

Edited by Joni

Unless she continued to try and vomit, I wouldn't worry about it. She may have just been hungry or eaten a bit of grass.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Ditto what Judy said. Do you have any Gas-X on hand just in case?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Print this chart and keep it on the refrigerator or in another prominent place. It is really helpful and will walk you through the signs of bloat.

http://www.bmd.org/bmdcr/bloat_chart.pdf

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest Joni

Thanks guys. Violet is my first grey (my first of any kind of dog) and I'm always worried about losing her to bloat, so whenever she does something unusual I have a moment of terror.

Guest Scouts_mom

Joni, Please relax. Bloat is really not that common with retired racers. Just make sure you know the signs and don't feed her immediately before or after exercising.

I know that it is hard, as a new momma, to relax. A month after I got her, my first dog, Scout, screamed the GSOD (Greyhound Scream of Death) and held up her paw during a play date. I immediately took her to the emergency vet. Of course, nothing was wrong. Luckily the vet took pity on me and rather than charging me an arm and a leg, offered to forget the charge if I applied for their doggy blood bank program. (Unfortunately, Scout was the wrong blood type).

Now after seven greys, my course of action when I hear the GSOD is: 1. Check for bleeding (very unlikely as the louder the scream, the less likelihood of blood), 2. Apologize profusely. You know it is all your fault. 3. Give a biscuit. 4. Let the dog take a nap. 5. If the dog still is upset or in pain after the nap, it is time to get concerned,