Clipping Nails

Guest Rose29

Guest Rose29

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for the grinder style nail clippers. My guys claws are quite long and I'm struggling to cut them with the clipper style ones, he was trying to pull away and was obviosly uncomfortable with it. I think the problem is in my strength as I struggle to cut the nail. So I thought a grinder type might be better.

I have had a look on amazon but it's not something I brought before so I would really appreciate some advice as I don't want to end up with something that's worse than I've already got.

We use this pet-specific dremel. We own and have used a regular dremel on Sweep's nails, but I personally find this model a little easier to hold and maneuver even though it's not as powerful. It gets the job done well and Sweep doesn't mind it.

53827132849_248d9686fd_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart

I just use a store brand -- cordless and variable speed. And I used this document as a starting point: Doberdawn

BTW, I also do have clippers that I used before I discovered the glory of the rotary grinder. My lab cross had much thicker nails than my greyhound and I had no difficulty with cutting them -- are you using a good quality pair of sharp scissor-type clippers? If they are good, then your "girl strength" shouldn't be an issue.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

I use a regular cordless Dremel, on the lowest setting, with 60-grit sanding bands.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

doberdawn's web site is the best!! my personal suggestion is to start w/ a good groomer ask the groomer to cut and dremel and learn from their work.you need to get the nails back, let a professional start(every 2 weeks) that then grind every week,those nails grow like mad. i like the electric dremel, i use it at a higher setting so it gets the job done. not the highest, just what the dogs tolerate noise wise. it's a handy tool to have in the house. the smooth conical attachments are good for dog corns and callousing on your own feet! once you get the knack your own nails can be shaped beautifully! we have also used it in tight corners when dh has installed the new sink, etc. i purchased my kit at home depot.

i usually clip first, i like the smaller miller forge, red handled clippers, they fit in my hand really well. and always have some quick stop on hand.

Edited by cleptogrey

I also used the Doberdawn guide when I started using a (regular, full-sized, non-pet-specific) Dremel. My only comment is that--in my admittedly limited experience--the most important rule is the 2-3 seconds per nail rule, rotating through each paw. But I deviate from the guide in that I use a setting that's probably closer to 10,000 rpms and the hounds have been fine. Now that they're both used to the routine, neither dog has ever pulled back because it got too hot. And I've never quicked them using this method, which is more than I can say for my attempts with the guillotine-style clippers!

The hardest thing was getting the angle right (not just of the Dremel, but also where I'm positioned depending on which side I'm grinding), and making sure that there's no loose hair tufts between their toes that might get caught.

Drew and occasionally DW Melody, with Rosie (AMF Ready Made) and Marvin (Bella Riddick) in Louisville. Forever missing Brooks (KC Bastone) and Kali (Swish).

Guest Johberry

I too found the Doberdawn website and guide most helpful.

I have a Hitachi mini grinder I bought off Amazon and it's worth every penny. I love that it has a little light on it and you can use other brands' sanding bands (we use Dremel since it's easy to find). I don't use anything higher than in between the 1 and 2 setting as it gets hot. The trick is holding the individual toe while grinding.

Our hound used to be so good but now gets annoyed when I trim every week so I do it while he's asleep. It take me a few days but that's mostly because I like to take the time to shape the nail pretty. Best of luck.

Guest Rose29

Thank you so much for the advise, I have ordered a dremel. I had never even thought of using one, had just searched for dog specific nail grinders which all seemed to have very mixed reviews.

The Doberdawn article is also very helpful thanks so much.

These are the current clippers I'm using, I think that it might be the clippers as I had someone ale try and they struggles too.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/nail-clipper