Bleeding Gums

This afternoon I noticed that Ruby had a blade of grass in her front teeth. I grabbed a paper towel and wiped the grass out, and then noticed that the paper towel had quite a bit of blood on it. I looked in her mouth and could not see a cut, but she was licking like crazy to get rid of the blood I am sure.

She is looking like she needs a dental before too long, and I admit I have not brushed her teeth in over a year now. She does get a teeth cleaning treat every night and a turkey neck 2 times a week.

The last week or so I have noticed she has pretty bad dog breath. Does this sound like gum disease or would you be worried about something else ? I barely touched her with the paper towel and was surprised how much blood there was. Her gums look very healthy and her teeth just have some brown tartar mainly on her canines.

She has been having all kinds of weird things go on lately and does have a vet appt. Tuesday.

Karen

The blade of grass might have irritated her gums--sort of like a flat dental floss that could have drawn blood.

But it's certainly something to discuss with her vet.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Some dog's teeth/gums bleed easily. If I miss/skip two days of not brushing Annie's teeth, the 3rd day there will be a bit of red on the toothbrush, and also a smell from her mouth. That's normal for her. She had her annual last month and except for tarter on her front teeth, which the vet scraped off, her teeth are fine, albeit yellow. :(

Personally, I don't think that a teeth cleaning treat does a lot of good. Don't spam me -- just my personal opinion based on my history with Annie and other households with multiple hounds who don't brush. I wouldn't be worried but it's good Ruby has a vet appt soon so you can be assured all is well/normal.

Perhaps this is why she hasn't been eating consistently.

It certainly could be. I did look around and wiggle teeth today to see if anything looked weird in there and nothing seemed to bother her. When I used to brush her teeth daily, I too would notice blood at times on the brush. She definitely needs a dental. I stopped brushing them last year when I had the foot surgery and couldn't get down on the floor with her. Big mistake.

I agree Feisty49. I don't think the tooth treats do much good, but she likes them and they have calories. I do think the turkey necks help some. Tomorrow is her vet appt. and I am worried about what I am going to hear. I have a weird gut feeling that something is wrong. I don't know if it is dementia or a weird blood thing going on. Hope I get some answers though.

Karen

• 5 years later...

There are many different causes that can cause bleeding. For example, my dog use anything to ‘sharpen’ his chewing skills and it may cause scrapes and bruises on the gums from time to time. Or the grass could damage her gums. In general, there are many reasons that can provoke it, I think you can first read some articles yourself, like this one - visit this link. I think it's worth watching for a few days in such cases to see if it will continue bleeding. And then visit a vet if it will go on.