My Kylee Groans....

Guest OurGreytLife

Guest OurGreytLife

Kylee is 2.5 years old, playful, active, no limping. She groans when she lays down - it's not a sigh it's a groan. The only time I've had a dog that groaned when he laid down was due to pain (bone cancer or arthritis at end stage of their life). An emergency vet checked her out and could not elicit a pain response upon exam. I'm concerned and Kylee has a vet appointment with her regular vet for blood work & thorough exam.

Has anyone ever had a dog that groaned when they laid down and were perfectly healthy?

Thanks in advance for all your help. Also best wishes to all those going thru health issues with their beloved dogs on this thread. My thoughts & prayers are with you all.

Guest Lygracilux

Fusion is the most vocal hound I have ever had. He whines, barks, grumbles and groans. He especially groans when he goes to finally plop down in bed or when I give him his ear scritches.

Besides having some bowel problems lately he is fine and has done this since we got him. I think its good you are looking out for your girl, but if blood tests come back fine and she isnt in pain. I dont think you should be worried. Shes just letting you know how happy she is she gets to lay in a comfy bed and not a crate :)

Yes, my boy is fine but he does those "that feels good groans'' when he lies down and when I rub his ears.

Typically, groans are fine; yelps are not.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Yep, Sweep (age 5) groans too. She has done so since we got her just after she turned 3. I agree it sounds like she's just very content and comfy, but a vet check can't hurt and hopefully will set your mind at ease.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Bandita lets out a really loud feel good groan when she lays down. It cracks me up because it's usually followed by a loud sigh. :)

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Our Marvin lets out a good, long groan just about every time he plops down in non-sphinx position. Depending on his level of agitation with us not caving to his begging for food, the groans can be quite lengthy and loud. We just like to say he's deflating.

Guest OurGreytLife

Thank you all for your replies - it helped me a lot. Kylee has had bowel issues since we got her. She came off the track with two large scars one on her hip the other by her flank. We have heard her yelp a few times when rising up from a lying position. She never yelps when running or playing.

I always felt there was something going on with Kylee that I can't put my finger on especially lately. We got her January 31st from a Florida track. That's why I wondered about the groaning. But when my husband confirmed he had heard her yelp also before, I decided it's time we do a more extensive exam.

Because of your responses, I think Kylee is a groaner like your dogs. However, because we have heard some yipes, I think something else is going on also.

Thank you all again for your help!

It's always good to do the vet check, but will say Henry is the most vocal dog I've ever had, everything in his life requires commentary, some of them are just like that, just like some people I figure (except it's cute in a dog, not so much in a person) :)

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.