Grey Having Trouble Getting Out Of Car

Guest ms3569

Guest ms3569

I recently adopted a 2 3/4 year old male grey. He's having issues with getting out of the car. He jumps in with no trouble but is very hesitant about getting out. He has no trouble going up or down stairs. I have a small SUV and we have a hammock/sling in back so he doesn't fall into floor wells. He likes to ride in the car but getting out is a real issue. He seems afraid to jump out? Has anyone had this issue? Any suggestions' how to help him would be greatly appreciated. He does have some mild arthritis in his Right back leg.

Congratulations on your new family member! :) He may be frightened of the exit height, or he may have more medical discomfort than he's shown. Males' racing crates are on ground level so it sometimes takes them a little more practice learning to jump during retirement.

A few separate options come to mind:

- Try parking your SUV's back end very close to a soft grassy berm/embankment or driveway incline so your hound has a shorter jump to exit from the back during practice sessions.

Reward him immediately upon exiting with a delicious bite of a dog treat, small piece of meat, or pieces of his kibble (if he's kibble motivated). Keep practice sessions happy and fun for him.

- Drop a large, thick piece of dense foam or dog bed on the driveway/garage so he has a softer landing platform.

(Hold foam mat/bed in place with your foot so it doesn't go flying out from under him.)

- Buy a dog ramp made for SUVs, or buy (or build) very secure steps (with closed risers) for him.

- I'm assuming he's too heavy for you to pick him up to place him gently on the ground. If you try it, please ensure he is muzzled before doing so. Some hounds are fine being lifted by humans, others are not accustomed to or comfortable with it.

(Not sure if a side door exit would be a lower jump, or more difficult for him to manuever.)

I'm sure others will chime in also. Good luck. :)

Get his eyes checked next time your at the vet. Could be an issue with depth perception.

Try tempting him out with treats. It could just be a matter of learning.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

A few things:

first, I seriously doubt a dog less than 3 years old has "arthritis" at this point in his life. If you suspect this, or have had a vet suggest this, then take to another vet for a serious inspection of his leg. It may be an old injury that needs PT, could be a break that didnt set correctly, or even soft tissue injury. In any case a 3 year old dog shouldnt have any problems that you cant fix with care.

Jumping out of a car, I treat this the same way as training going down stairs, pull them out. Dont YANK or just pull them out in a single jerk, but grab the collar and with a constant motion, pull the hound out. No need to try to coax them out, or beg or ask. Pull your hound out a few times and they will understand its nothing to be afraid of. They do the exact same thing when you are training them to go down stairs. After a few times you will see they no longer balk at jumping out.

There is another possibility. He might just be stubborn/lazy/annoying. This is 15 minutes after I parked in our garage, went in, fried eggs and made toast, and then went back to the car to see if Logan was planning to get out sometime soon:

file%202_zps6qplk3oi.jpg

Max, on the other hand, who is 10.5 yo and presumably must have at least some arthritis, jumps right out.

On a more practical note, I will second the possibility of some sight difficulty. When I first got him, Max did tend to be nervous about getting out when the car was in the garage until someone on GT suggested that possibility. Since then I turn all the garage overhead lights on when I park, and he has no trouble getting out.

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

I would try using a really tasty treat to get him out. My male sometimes decides not to jump out because gets comfortable laying down in the SUV. When it is time to get out (he has no problem jumping out) he just decides he doesn't want to. His weakness is a Greenie. In the beginning I would wave it in front of him and tell him 'Let's Go' and out he would jump to get it.

Bu usually decides not to jump out because we have arrived home and he wants to arrive somewhere more exciting - like the park. Yes, he is stubborn. The treat trick always works on him.

I agree about the eyes. Annie will jump out of the car, either from the cargo area or a side door, but she's tentative. I know she has sight issues being she has an auto-immune disease in her left eye and has an atrophied optic nerve in her right. She has no problem running around, finding treats, walking, etc., but I think, as mentioned above, her perception when looking down is off.

My suggestion is to use treats to encourage him, and if possible, park on the same type of environment so he gets used to it and loses the tentativeness.

I'd suggest buying a ramp (telescoping) and carrying it in the car with you to aid with exits. You'd have to get him trained with it and comfortable, but that's the best solution I can see at the moment, but I totally agree with 3greytjoys mentioning a medical issue you may not just know about, whether it hurts his paw, or his leg, both, maybe he can't see well. All you can do is aid in helping him exit. Have you ever tried to help hoist him out? My aging Kasey now waits for me to get into position to hold under his back end as he bails out with his front since he's not so sure when his back legs might give out. It's sort of a catch and receive deal :rolleyes:

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015