Barking At Car When I Come Home

My house is on a large corner lot, facing a busy street. It is set way, far back from the street. When I return from work, I usually pull the car up to get the mail from the box on the street, since the mailbox is not at the driveway or sidewalk. Then I drive around the short block to bring the car in the side street garage. The dogs dash out the dog door into the back yard to run to the fence so they can see the car at the mailbox. Then they dash to the side street fence to meet the car as I enter the garage. Clear as mud?

The problem: Jeter has started barking while I'm at the mailbox. It's annoying to me, and I'm afraid to the neighbors even though it only lasts a short while. How can I get him to stop barking while I'm in a car over 100 feet away? He doesn't bark any other time.

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Sounds like they are making a game of it.

My iggy can be sound asleep and has no view of the window, yet he's the one who knows I'm home and he gets everyone barking.

For you I guess parking first may be the only solution, then walking out to the mailbox. :dunno

Editing to add: desensitizing them to your predictable routine - driving around and around, pulling up but then leaving. They'll either give up or bark the whole time. I'm no help. :P

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Maybe if he starts barking don't pull into the garage but leave again in the car? Although you might be going around the block in perpetuity. For the short time he's barking, I'd probably ignore it. You might not want to know what's happening when you aren't there, though, lol.

siggy2.jpg

Xavi does the same thing, and all I do is walk the two feet from my driveway to the front door. I ignore him. Hope for some good suggestions here.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest jetska

Kasey sounds like an orphaned seal when I come home. I haven't yet figured out how to get him to stop. If you can't beat em, join em! I'd say go home first, and then go out to get the mail.

Barbie does too! OURARF OURRRRARF HOWLEYARF!

I don't want to take me, let alone the dogs, out on a busy road at commuting time. And surely you're not suggesting that walking to the mailbox without the dogs would solve the barking problem. :lol

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I don't want to take me, let alone the dogs, out on a busy road at commuting time. And surely you're not suggesting that walking to the mailbox without the dogs would solve the barking problem. :lol

It might. Leo will bark when my car comes home until I go into the house. But if I go back outside after coming home, no barking. Of course he's kind of nuts...

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest k9soul

No advice, just adding that my dogs tend to all bark in excitement when I pull into the drive from going somewhere. At first it was just my lab mix, then Rudy started joining in. Cole was always silent at first, but now the last couple times I've seen him join in too :lol In my case it's brief enough I don't worry too much about it. They stop when I turn off the engine and get out and it only goes on a few seconds.