Sudden Accidents...solutions?

Guest HopeSLP

Guest HopeSLP

We've had Pete 4 years. Initially he had accidents while adjusting which got better in time with use of crating, using belly band. It was to the point we would crate him only when gone for a longer period of time. His vet thought his accidents were behavioral, as he would hold it in the crate and pee in the house when left out (all tests were normal when she checked). Now we crate him only when he'll be alone for 5 hours or a tad more.

Suddenly now he's having accidents in our basement. I'm at least happy it's not on our living room rug, as the basement is cement...but I'm disheartened that we've reverted. Not sure if it's this very snowy/cold winter we're having in Michigan or separation issues. My husband's and mine's work schedules are different so he's not alone more than 4 hours each day. Walking is tough right now because we have sub-zero temps with 2-feet of snow outside. I'm thinking we should be crating again every time we go to nip this problem in the bud, as we crated him the last two days with no issues. Any advice?

Close the door to the basement? Once urine seeps into cement, it's virtually impossible to get out. Dogs tend to return to the same spot in the house. Also, you should have his urine checked at the vet. 4 years is a long time. He could have UTI this time.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

First urine of the day, catch mid-stream to do a urinalysis and check for UTI. Culture if the results present any questions. (Suggest that your Vet "start" the culture in office and then send it out for growth completion and analysis.) When was his last Super Chem Panel? If all tests comes back negative, and if Pete's ok with it, crating him sounds like a reasonable, temporary solution until the weather breaks.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Perhaps Pete is cold! Are his ears chilly? Do you keep your home at a lower temp (I do!). Maybe some daytime jimjams would help him. Sub-zero temps with two feet of snow outside? Crazy weather.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

since your vet has checked it do talk to her and see if a first catch of the day can be looked at- just incase a uti is brewing. how's the pup at night? crated or loose, dry or wet?

quite honestly, with all of this crazy cold and XXXXX snow dogs start doing stupid things....they need activity and exercise...and we don't have borzoi who love the cold. (but we don't have borzoi hair to content with either). winters can be tuff on not only us, but the hounds as well.