Sign Of Dementia ?

A few weeks ago I posted that Ruby's behavior was getting really weird. She was staring off into space, her anxiety level has been increasing, etc. We took her to the vet and he ran all kinds of blood tests which all came back normal. He felt that she had the beginnings of dementia possibly. I was wondering if she was having some hearing loss because she seems to not hear us come home any more, and also doesn't seem to know when we are at the back door to let her in.

The last few days we noticed that she is not pooping twice a day like she has always done. She has also had pretty bad gas each night.

I have been watching her and the minute she finishes her eating, she immediately is staring back in the door to come in, when she used to go potty right after a meal and then want in the house afterwards.

The last 2 nights I have told her to "go potty" when she stares wanting in and she will then go out and go. This has stopped the gas problem too. Poops are completely normal and there has been no new foods or treats.

Do you think she is forgetting to go ? Does this sound like the beginnings of dementia to anyone ? So worried about our girl.

Karen

It could be, sadly. Jeffie had done the staring into space thing and had increased anxiety, and also had started dropping poops in the house and in his bed. Normal poops. It looked as if he didn't know he had to go, to me, but the neuro said he knew, but was possibly getting a bit mixed up on the whole housetraining thing. He's been on Vivtonin now for nearly a week and is a lot brighter, calmer, and happier, and has not had one single poop incident in the house. Not holding my breath on that one because I know it could still happen - and probably will in the future - but for now he's almost a different dog.

I'd talk to the vet. If everything checks out as normal, well, dementia is sometimes a diagnosis of elimination.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I have not had her tested for brain cancer and don't even want to think about that possibility.

The weather has been in the low 50's at night, so not too bad.

She is 7 1/2 and way too young to be having dementia issues I think.

And yes, we worry about every twitch. limp, stare, etc...... she is our baby.

Karen

Dementia seems rather unlikely at her age. I'm a firm believer that Momma knows best-something is going on. I would see a neurologist for a complete exam/second opinion. Try to video tape any unusual behavior or symptoms that she may be displaying. Also document activities on a calendar. Bring all of this to the neuro. At the very least if the neuro vet isn't worried you can strike off some of the scary diagnosis off your list,

Wow, yes, at seven and a half, I'd say she's too young to be showing signs of dementia. It could be a seizure disorder though. My suggestion is that you video the episodes and show your vet - it's also worth keeping a diary to see if there's any link to events, activity, food, etc.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop