Good Thoughts For Greta And Stella Please! Dental Tomorrow.

Guest lynne893

Guest lynne893

Our girls, Greta almost 9 and Stella 6, are going in for a dental tomorrow which I expect to be pretty brutal, unfortunately. Their teeth are in awful condition. I'm a bad dog mommy and admit I never brush their teeth. (I know. I feel bad about it.) After each dental I always swear I'm going to be better about it, and no excuses, I just never change.

Ughghhh.

Greta has tons of build up and eats poop (that's largely my excuse for not brushing-- I have no desire to reach in there and brush her poop mouth, though I know that's all the reason to do it!!!) and at her last dental a year and a half ago she had a couple of small extractions. 6 months ago she had her teeth scaled (non-anesthesia) and they're already terrible again.

Stella also had scaling 6 months ago and they pointed out some abscessing going on though it was only on the paperwork and not verbal so I didn't notice it until recently :( The abscesses in her molar gums look awful and I'm afraid she may need those pulled.

I'm afraid of the outcome -- extractions and $$$. We've spent thousands of dollars in the last 6 months on the dogs (ringworm testing and treatment, giardia testing and treatment, incessant paw licking for Stella and Greta's herniated disc) and here comes the whopper expense. And we have a 4.5 week old baby at home. We're turning into broke zombies!!!

Please keep our good girls in your thoughts tomorrow that all goes smoothly.

Lynne

Guest lynne893

Dental went well. They had fine bloodwork and handled anesthesia well.

Greta, our poop-eater, did not have ANY extractions which SHOCKED me! Just scaling done. Her teeth looked horrendous before. I'm committed to using the poop guard (DH hates the idea) and brushing her teeth. She came home and had one cup of water-logged kibble and wants more. She got a little piece of deli meat as a treat. Just antibiotics for her.

Stella, who looked to have abscesses on her gums, did indeed have to have those two molars extracted (P4s). Poor gal. No other extractions though. She's going to be on Rimadyl, Tramadol and antibiotics for a few days with softened food for a week. She refused dinner and refused the piece of deli meat I offered. She took her Tramadol with some peanut butter (I had to gently put it in her mouth).

Thanks for your kind thoughts and well-wishes!

Glad both dental went well and they are home safe and sound.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Good update. Hope Stella recovers quickly and is back to eating her favorite things again soon (that doesn't include poop, Greta! :shakefinger ).

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Guest lynne893

Stella had a bit of a tough night (mommy didn't realize she needed TWO tramadol pills at 5pm and just gave her 1, so at 11pm she was crying and I gave her the second). But, she ate her mushed up breakfast this morning and got her tramadol, rimadyl and antibiotic pill.

Hooray! And Greta continues to do well.

Regarding the poop guards~~all 3 of mine have them now and we no longer cringe when one gives us a big open-mouth happy look. This is gross, but we didn't know a long time ago that Sam was a poop eater. He had a habit of many nights getting us up to let him out (we thought a potty run). However, it turns out it was (here it is going gross) snack time!! So for a long time we were enablers of a poop eater!! Now, having been identified, he no longer troubles us to let him out during the night. After the first few tries of snacking while poop guarded, everyone gave up so no nasty clean ups to do . I love poop guards!!