It's Hunting Season In Pa!

I was at a friend's house tonight and he showed me a pic of a deer he took. I asked if he processed it himself, and he said, yes, of course. And I asked - where are the bones? And he said "OH CRAP. I'm sorry. I promise Diana will get the bones from my next deer".

Venison bones are a fabulous chew for our dogs. I'll go to my friend's house, pull the bones out of the "trash" from processing, cut them up and freeze them. Happy - happy dog.

Don't waste those venison bones!

LOL One of Rainy's favorite days ever was when I let her have a rib cage/spine. I've never seen a happier bloodier dog. Bathtime immediately followed the 3 hour gnawing session. In those 3 hours she hardly even made a dent in the amount there.

How do you cut the bones up?

------

Jessica

Our house looks like a boneyard during deer season. I get them legs from the butcher, open old sheets along the entire dining room and they each get one. Until all the legs end up in the yard, lol.

I don't know about the legs or spine, but where are the antlers? A friend brought me her brother's cast offs (small ones he didn't want to save) last year and the girls were in heaven! Those antlers are EXPENSIVE to buy!

LOL One of Rainy's favorite days ever was when I let her have a rib cage/spine. I've never seen a happier bloodier dog. Bathtime immediately followed the 3 hour gnawing session. In those 3 hours she hardly even made a dent in the amount there.

How do you cut the bones up?

I use a reciprocating saw. My DH and friend are in construction so power tools are the way to go! I cut them into "reasonable" sized portions. Like 6". And I always give them outside. Now, when the ick is cleaned off, I'll let them be brought inside, but I pick them up at night and throw them back in the freezer. On bad weather days the "cleaned" bones will be given inside.

I'll give a section of rib with meat as a meal. A legbone, I'd give as a treat. A rib-section I'd toss after the "good stuff" is gone. A legbone I'd freeze and give another day as a chew.

I'm not a raw-feeder, but free venison bones are a definite add-in here.

I can't imagine giving a dog a whole ribcage and spine! That's a LOT and I'm sure it was a mess. Yeah - chop that up first next time LOL!

I don't know about the legs or spine, but where are the antlers? A friend brought me her brother's cast offs (small ones he didn't want to save) last year and the girls were in heaven! Those antlers are EXPENSIVE to buy!

Antlers are cool, too, but around here my friends only kill bucks with "good racks" so they keep and mount them. I'd certainly take any cast-offs, though.

• 3 weeks later...

My husband and brother butcher their own deer. After years of doing this they always have a pile of "junk" meat. They only take the meat that they want. My freezer gets full of treats in the food bowl!

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

• 3 weeks later...

My husband and brother butcher their own deer. After years of doing this they always have a pile of "junk" meat. They only take the meat that they want. My freezer gets full of treats in the food bowl!

Monty LOVED when I worked with someone who had both a son and husband that hunted deer! He got multiple bags of the trimmings, and he was the happiest dog from October through January those years as he got bits doled out in intermittent meals. Making friends with anyone that processes/butchers their own meat is great for our dogs!