Scabby Skin

New foster- 2-1/2 yo neutered male, off the track for 2-3 months. Scabby areas behind his front legs and ears (minor), throat (rubbed bare), and between shoulder blades (scabby patch 2-3" across). Tried chlorphenamine maleate ("Chlor-Trimeton") as per vet, as well as "hot spot" spray (tea tree oil + rosemary). No dice.

qX7EinN.jpg

Gx7qRIq.jpg

Syq8x1x.jpg

It comes and goes in waves.

Dog has been treated with "Frontline," but in a stripe, i.e.: not everything between the shoulder blades. He's fed lamb and rice food (Hund and Flocken) due to suspicions he might have chicken sensitivity.

Any suggestions?

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

It looks like a bad reaction to Frontline to me, even though you said you spread it around. Did that start right after the application of Frontline? The large spot between the shoulder blades is what makes me suspicious. The foster may be having a whole body reaction to that. I would follow the advice of your vet, and also see if coconut oil will help. It is a staple in our house for my greys, internally and externally, and they love it. It is very natural. You can put it in the food, put it on the skin, give it to them straight. Just start out with a little if giving for internal consumption - the amount on the skin doesn't matter and it does wonders for their skin and coats.

As to the food, neither of mine do well on chicken, so I use a fish based food. Have had the best luck with that.

Good luck - I hope it heals quickly.

Skin scraping- yes; nothing obviously wrong, as per vet.

Frontline- no data as to when it first started. Kennel he came from apparently treated with Frontline, but I have no data from them as to whether he had that same problem. Plus, I don't understand why he would have the patches behind his legs, behind his ears, and on his throat if it were direct contact from Frontline or other topical applied to his back.

CS- I think you mean MyoGesic-CS? Had to search for that name. I've wanted to try "EMT Gel" but my supply is exhausted. Haven't seen any "CS" product on the shelf locally.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Do the areas seem to be healing or getting worse? Maybe he was treated too many times - since you don't have contact with the kennel, you won't know. It still looks to me like a very bad reaction to something topical as opposed to an allergy to what he is eating. I am pretty sure if it was that he would have itchy skin all over and sometimes their feet bother them with itching. Glad you changed the food though. It is a mystery as to why the patches are in the other places you mentioned, maybe it dripped, or rubbed, no way to know.

I can't recommend a specific product to use, but isn't EMT gel more for cuts and wounds that are bleeding and it sort of holds the skin together? It is pretty sticky so maybe not something to put on this. I would think more of a cream antibiotic from the vet. I agree with XTRAWLD about using oral med for the foster in the future. You might want to mention this to his future forever home adopters. We use Nexgard here with great results.

Ugg, I feel so bad for the foster. Thank you for taking care of him and trying to find an answer. Keep us posted as to how it is going.

Skin scraping- yes; nothing obviously wrong, as per vet.

Frontline- no data as to when it first started. Kennel he came from apparently treated with Frontline, but I have no data from them as to whether he had that same problem. Plus, I don't understand why he would have the patches behind his legs, behind his ears, and on his throat if it were direct contact from Frontline or other topical applied to his back.

CS- I think you mean MyoGesic-CS? Had to search for that name. I've wanted to try "EMT Gel" but my supply is exhausted. Haven't seen any "CS" product on the shelf locally.

Sorry for that CS - colloidal silver

It's basically water, with silver in it. The spray, which also comes in gel format, can be applied multiple times during the day. It helps reduce infection as it pretty much eats bacteria, and speeds the healing process. I don't know where I would be without it. Also, when used orally for my pups, have pretty much gotten rid of his gingivitis. The properties of CS is fabulous!

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Better/worse- Yes, it improves cyclically; the scabs form, fall off (or are scratched off- he doesn't flip onto his back and rub, but She Who Must Be Obeyed claims she's seen him manage to scratch it with his rear legs), and it gets wet and re-scabs again. The size of the affected area has not changed. I have a topical (compounded by a vet) that I am trying on half of the affected area to look for any improvement; just started it last night.

Oddly, I do have some colloidal silver, but only as liquid. Need to figure out where it is- but I have the wherewithall to make more.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Good to see you back here, Aaron - it's been a while! Sorry about your foster's skin issues. Have you tried a thyroid panel yet? Low thyroid can cause skin issues, so that's one avenue to explore, anyway. If the issue were only on the shoulder, I'd say fronline reaction, but you're right that it doesn't make a lot of sense with the areas behind his ears and legs. One thing you may want to try is a Coombs/ANA test to see if maybe something autoimmune is happening. Autoimmune likes to attack where the skin is "transitional" though generally that would be around the nose, eyes, pupace, etc., so I don't know if it would be worth exploring that or not. Has the vet recommended any antibiotics to be sure those open sores don't pick up an infection?

Hope you can get it resolved!

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Quick update: The scab between his shoulder blades is vastly improved after 2-3 days' treatment with compounded... goo from a local vet that we had in the freezer (gentamicin, betamethasone, clotrimazole, and tetracaine), applied daily after carefully trimming the area of all fur. Then we shampooed him- and the scab pretty much fell off; I had been applying the goo to the left side of the scab to look for any improvement, and although the entire area looked better, the left was much improved. So, now we're applying it to the entire wound, along with his throat.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Glad to hear things are improving.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

• 2 weeks later...

The latest news today:

Two more dogs came in on a recent haul from the same track, same kennel that had strikingly similar symptoms. This time, skin scrapings revealed hyphae; topical anti-fungal was prescribed.

Sparks, having been on the fix-what-ails-you topical described above, now has pink skin showing through the furry "window" between his shoulder blades, and the swelling of the sores on his throat are vastly improved. He's now on the OTC anti-fungal, which hopefully will finish what the clotrimazole started.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

That was some awesome goo you had in the freezer. I'm glad a diagnosis was reached for the other dogs and your pupper is better.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.