Hounds Acting Weird Toward Each Other.

I'm not sure what to make of this.... today was like any other day with the dogs in our home until this evening. We've had Marlow for a year and Rumor for 8 months. They have always gotten along fine,play together in the yard, take walks together, etc. So today I came home from running an errand, let Rumor out of her crate (she loves her crate and is crated when I'm not home. I'm a stay-at -home mom so she's never crated for long periods of time.) Marlow isn't crated. They followed me, as usual, while I got their dinner and I fed them in their separate corners, like I always do. After they ate they were standing in the family room and Marlow growled at Rumor. She ran for her crate and got way back in the back of it. I was in the room but didn't see what happened. I couldn't find food, toys, beds, or anything that would have caused an issue. I let it go and a few minutes later he growled again at her while she was in her crate. I called him and she then came out of the crate and RAN to her other crate in the bedroom. At this point I muzzled them both and she eventually left the bedroom but I found her asleep in the laundry room (she has never done that before). I took them on their usual walk where they behaved normally. We are home now, but she hasn't left the laundry room. Obviously I will keep them muzzled. Any ideas on what might have happened? Anything else I should do? I'm baffled. I've always had 2 hounds and have never seen behavior like this. Thanks!

<p>Kim and the hound - Rumor
Missing my angels Marlow, Silver, Holly and Lucky

Wow, that is a puzzle! I'd muzzle when you can't supervise closely and see if something emerges to tell you what's going on.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

So she's sleeping in the laundry room again this morning. Things seemed fine at bedtime and overnight but this morning she refused to go in the backyard, even alone. She intially wouldn't eat breakfast, just laid in her crate. She finally ate and the morning walk was normal. She's been asleep in the laundry room ever since. Weird. She has never been a skittish or spooky hound.

Maybe she is getting sick and your other hound is picking up on it?

My thought, too. Vet check?

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

After a very strange several days, things seem to be better. She spent several days sleeping in strange places, not eating (but then finally eating later each time), not wanting to go off the patio (she can "hold it" a really long time!), not sleeping in the bedroom one night, etc. During all of that time though, she'd still have very normal times. Anyway, she seemed better yesterday and today. A friend wondered if it could be atmospheric related - we've had a week of lots of rain (we've had rain and storms since we've had her but somehow this weather seemed different). Things started clearing up yesterday afternoon.

There is one other new strange thing this week that hasn't improved. On one of our walks Thursday she suddenly acted weird on certain sections of the sidewalk (about every third square has this rubbery thing in between the 2 concrete squares - it freaked her out). As we continued to walk, she totally freaked and so I moved her to the street and she was fine. So, if we walk in places without this rubber stuff, she is fine but if we get near this stuff she freaks out. Fortunately I can avoid it pretty easy. She has never been a spooky dog.

I will get them both checked by the vet if this stuff continues, but for now I think things may be getting better. And thanks for mentioning the thyroid thing with Marlow. I've been having some other issues with him that started early in the summer and I had forgotten that a thyroid issue could be the problem. Gonna go do some research on that now.... :)