Nighttime Annoyances

This is really more of a vent than anything else.

As most of you know, we recently moved across the country. A few weeks ago we finally moved into our new house (we were staying with family prior to that) and it's great... except that the bedroom doesn't have space for a large dog crate. I figured, no biggie... we put the crate in the spare bedroom and Kili crates in there during the day, at night she can just be loose in our bedroom because she's not going to be walking around getting into trouble, she's housebroken etc. Right? Right.

EXCEPT

She has developed this annoying habit of wanting to sleep in bed beside me. She goes to sleep on her dog bed but sometime in the middle of the night she wakes me up trying to climb into bed beside me. It is particularly disruptive because she has to climb over us to get there. The bed is against the wall. Jarrett sleeps on the outside and I sleep on the inside. And Kili sleeps between me and the wall. Now, I don't mind if she sleeps with us sometimes... mostly on nights when I'm not working the next day or am working late and can sleep in. What's annoying is that nights like last night... although I told her off when she tried to climb into bed and sent her back to her dog bed... she proceeded to wake me up another half dozen times trying to sneak into bed. It was so bad that I eventually had to get up and go get the ex-pen to place around her dog bed to keep her there. On top of that, prior to HER waking us up, one of the rabbits kept banging their litterbox in their cage repeatedly very loudly. Animals... seriously.

No advice needed. I know the solution... crate her in the other room, keep an ex-pen in our bedroom, or find a way to make a crate work in the bedroom. It's just.so. annoying. You'd think she'd be old enough to behave herself now (her second birthday was on Monday!). Now, part of me wants to be like "awww... she's so sweet, she wants to snuggle" but I think she just wants to sleep in bed. lol

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest BlueCrab

Trixie is way older than Kili, and she has started a similarly annoying habit. She has a papasan chair that she sleeps on in our room. Sometimes she'll stay downstairs for the night, sometimes she'll come up and climb into her chair. She used to do it quietly and we'd never know she was there.

But in the last couple months she's decided she wants to get in bed with us oh, about 4 am. So she'll get out of her chair and come stand next to the bed to whine until we either send her back to the chair or let her up in bed with us. Ugh. I've tried gating her downstairs so she can't come up, but then she stands downstairs and yips until we move the gate. So we're losing sleep here too and I have no idea how to fix the problem.....

I had to smile at this. It's cute. Our new girl claimed a chair in my room to sleep on. Neither one of the boys ever even looked at it until she started sleeping on it. Now they try to claim it before her everynight. And she gets upset so she repeatedly barks at them all night.

Most of time I let my dogs work out little issues like this, but sometimes I want to make them get out of the chair so she can sleep. There are tons of other beds for them to sleep on and they never wanted to sleep there until she started. I have not kicked them out yet, but I am so tempted.

61bd4941-fc71-4135-88ca-2d22dbd4b59a_zps

Payton, The Greyhound (Palm City Pelton) and Toby, The Lab
Annabella and Julietta, The Cats
At the Bridge - Abby, The GSD

I think the real solution is YOU go sleep in the crate in the other room. It'll be quiet there!

Lol. I'm not so sure about that. Half the reason I don't put her in the crate in the other room is I suspect she may cry if I'm in another room. She probably would settle eventually but not something I want to deal with while I'm trying to sleep.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Kasey kicks in his sleep....and usually kicks me in the butt. After he rolled over after roaching and fell off the bed a couple times, he seems to have learned his own lesson and now doesn't sleep with me anymore. Everyone gets a good nights sleep now. Trust me, I totally sympathize with you.

And congrats for moving across the country - where to? It better be BC.....

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Ben wakes me up every night to put him to bed. I'm not sure how long ago it started, but sometime after we adopted Katie last August. He comes in the bedroom and stares at me. If I don"t wake up and open my eyes, he'll whine. Then I get up and go over to his bed and call him over. Sometimes he stands there until I pet him. Then he circles around, gets comfy and moans and sighs.

I don't mind at all because I know someday I will miss this as it becomes a memory.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Now, part of me wants to be like "awww... she's so sweet, she wants to snuggle"

Well I think this is the part of your self you should listen to. Just give into the cuteness now. Resistance is futile. :beatheart

I don't mind at all because I know someday I will miss this as it becomes a memory.

Seriously, though, this is exactly how I feel. My first greyhound wasn't allowed to sleep with me on my bed. Then for the last four days of his life I let him and he was so happy. When he was gone, I really regretted not allowing him to sleep with me all his life, but it was too late then. This is why all my subsequent hounds have been allowed to sleep with me if they want to. Easy for me to say, though, as I am "retired" and don't need to worry so much about getting a good night's sleep.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting