Low Rbc

Guest Addictivestyle

Guest Addictivestyle

So the dog that's being fostered for me went to the vet to get fixed and apparently there were some complications, they had to slice nearly the whole length of her belly or something and blood tests show low red blood cell count? I'm not sure on any of the details or specifics, ran into my adoption agent grocery shopping and she had little info on it, waiting for them to get back to her, but what kinds of things can cause this? what type of treatment is needed?

I live in a small apartment and this will be my first dog, so I don't think I can handle any serious medical conditions right off the get go, nor could I handle a huge vet bill right after adopting. Obviously without the details it's hard to really know anything, just looking for some insight and advice.

I don't know about the large incision.

Ask if you could have a copy of the lab test results or at least that RBC level and post them here. Per Dr Stack's website www.greythealth.com RBC range for greyhounds is 7.4-9.0

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'm unclear what living in a small apartment and the ability to handle a medical problem have to do with one and other, but frankly, if you don't think you have the time or inclination to deal with a dog who has just had a surgery with a complication, someone else should foster her.

The incision will need to be protected, and if you don't know how or don't have the time or whatever, she'd be better of with an experienced home.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest PiagetsMom

When you talk to your adoption rep for further information, voice any concerns you may have. Hopefully your rep can clarify if there are any special issues for this pup, and advise you. :)

When did they do the bloodwork -- before surgery? shortly after?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest BiancasMom

A large incision on a female can indicate that perhaps they accidentally dropped an ovarian pedicle and it caused some bleeding. Intra-op bleeding will cause a temporary lower rbc count. Maybe she was in heat when they spayed her too? That will cause blood vessels to be a lot larger and can have a more bloody spay. Hopefully this is just due to a difficult surgery, which can happen. I'm sure she will be just fine after she heals!

I'm assuming your hound was cryptochidic--hence the large incision. As already asked-did the red cell count (pcv%) decrease post surgery? Is this vet aware of greyhound post operative bleeding syndrome?

Oops-thought your hound was a male :-)