Help Finding Leash

Guest homebase004

Guest homebase004

Good evening! I am new to the forum and am in need of some help. We recently adopted a two year old retired racer and he is a puller. I am terrified that the snap on the leash they gave us is going to fail. I am looking for a six foot quality leather leash with trigger snap instead of the usual bolt snap. I have found some very nice leads online, but they only come with the traditional bolt snap.

Any help locating what I'm looking for or any suggestions for a secure leash would be appreciated.

Thanks All!

Welcome to GreyTalk! Congratulations on your new hound! :)

- My first suggestion is to tie knots in your current (nylon?) leash where you need extra hand control (for the time being).

- Also, next to the existing bolt snap, add a small metal carabiner clip (available at hardware stores, REI, etc.), so your hound has double clip protection.

I second trying www.LongDogLeather.com

(I don't have personal experience with this business owner; however, they are members of GreyTalk.)

If all else fails, this business offers the safer trigger snaps, but with nylon leashes at very reasonable prices: http://www.fancyk9s.com

Here is a larger list of GT merchandisers:

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/48958-gt-business-owners/

(Please be extra careful with leather leads to ensure hound doesn't chew through the leather.)

Edited by 3greytjoys

Guest homebase004

I appreciate all those who took the time to respond. We are currently using a harness when we go for walks, we are making some progress with the pulling. It's the integrity of the hardware of the leash that scares me. I've read a few forum posts where the snap fails and the dog takes off, looking for the " go to " leash with trustworthy hardware.

Thanks again.

alligator clasp and biothane leads from K9noz.com. contact Bud, the owner, after you look at the web site. he has every weight biothane, he will help you find the right lead/weight. he also has a heavy heavy duty gripper leash which may work. i'm very happy w/ his work and they last for ever... also some obedience classes will not hurt. but good equipment is a must.

Guest homebase004

alligator clasp and biothane leads from K9noz.com. contact Bud, the owner, after you look at the web site. he has every weight biothane, he will help you find the right lead/weight. he also has a heavy heavy duty gripper leash which may work. i'm very happy w/ his work and they last for ever... also some obedience classes will not hurt. but good equipment is a must.

I spoke to Bud at K9noz this evening, what a great guy. I placed the order for the lead to include the Lock Jaw hardware.

Thanks to all who responded!!

i'm sure you will be happy w/ his product. i love the fluorescent yellow...when it's grungy looking a wet soapy sponge- wipe it down and it's brand new! what width did you get? they do soften up w/ wear, so don't fret if it seems a tad stiff at first..

Edited by cleptogrey

Guest OPointyDog

Sounds like you've found a solution - for others who might be looking I can recommend K9 Explorer leashes - they have a one-handed scissor release out of heavy-duty steel, and the leash has reflective stitching for high visibility. They also have a padded non-slip handle. I LOVE them. Our local pet store carries them, but they're available in various places online.

Guest homebase004

i'm sure you will be happy w/ his product. i love the fluorescent yellow...when it's grungy looking a wet soapy sponge- wipe it down and it's brand new! what width did you get? they do soften up w/ wear, so don't fret if it seems a tad stiff at first..

I got the royal blue, 5/8 thick, with the Lock Jaw hardware. The leash arrived today, seems very nice.

Thanks to everyone who responded, I appreciate it.

I got the royal blue, 5/8 thick, with the Lock Jaw hardware. The leash arrived today, seems very nice.

Thanks to everyone who responded, I appreciate it.

that's what i have, it seems to be Bud's favorite weight. it seemed bulky at first but i really like them, especially when i'm wearing gloves. a tad warm for my hands during the summer.

If you want leather I would recommend any equestrian supplier. I have a very heavily duty leash from Quillan's and a lighter softer one from The Engraver. Both have regular snaps but I have never had a lead rope snap break or open during use.