New To Greyhounds! Educate Me :)

Guest DogsR4Life

Guest DogsR4Life

Hello Everyone :)

I'm from Eastern Canada and I currently own a 6yo neutered male Doberman named Chase. I will always have Dobermans in my life, but for years I have always wanted to rescue an adult or senior Greyhound.

I have a rescue in mind, but have not made contact yet, they are very well known in the area and are considered reputable :) my timeline for adopting a Greyhound will be no earlier than 4 years down the line, I'm not in a rush.

A bit about my lifestyle:

I'm extremely active with my Doberman, we hike, bike, jog, swim, compete, train, and travel :) I plan to do this with all of my future Dobermans. The rescue will be included, but doesn't have to be so intense.

I crate train, I'm pro active by having a dog proof house.

I share my couch, lap, and bed with my fur baby :)

I'm a health nut for canines, I educate myself on the food I feed my dog.

I'm positive only trainer, a fairly quiet person, I do not need a party dog (a dog that enjoys intense human interaction).

I enjoy off leash hikes on my 18 acre property, no fence.

I like to give back to the community via dog power (certified therapy dog, walk to end cancer, )

My questions to you guys:

Is a greyhound right for me? Or, am I the right home for a greyhound?

Can Greyhounds be off leash in open space? Are they prone to running away?

What are the major health risks with this breed?

Is this breed generally tolerant of a multi dog house?

And here is a pic of my boy

DSC_7653_zpsd39fa210.jpg

It doesn't sound like a greyhound is the right breed for you.

1-You can work them up to hiking for about 2 miles but forget jogging. They are too much of a couch potato.

2-Greyhounds are NEVER off leash unless they are in a fenced area. They are a sighthound and they will take off if they see something to chase. They can then easily get lost. When they are chasing they are focused on that object and will not hear you call them.

PRINCESS
ANGELS: SUSIE (BANDIT SUE) 3/26/1991-5/13/2006, TIPPER (MPS KRISTINA) 7/23/1999-2/4/2008, LADYBUG (BB'S LADYBUG) 5/19/2005-7/9/2008,
HAPPY 12/2000-10/9/2013, RICHY (DON L RICHY RICH) 11/5/2002-5/17/2015, DARREN 9/24/2005-3/2/2017, TUCKER (AWESOME ABILITY) 12/29/2004-12/4/2017,
BUG (BB'S DANCING BUG) 5/19/2005-11/17/2018, Dee (KIOWA DIANDRA) 10/9/2007-6/20/2022, Buddy (PJ PLUTARCH) 11/21/2013-9/8/2023)

I love Dobies and your boy is very handsome and looks SO happy and healthy. You sound like a terrific owner and very concerned about the health of your pets which is something I wish more people understood. Unfortunately, Bill419 is right. Greys should not be let off leash. Also, it sounds like you want a dog that has a higher energy level. Do your research and you will find the right dog for you.

Good luck!

PS you might spend some time reading the Greyhound Amber Alert Section. It can be a real eye opener.

Edited by june

Welcome to Greytalk!

I don't think a greyhound will fit perfectly into your current lifestyle. Greyhounds can move quickly (even senior ones), but they definitely enjoy soft, comfy beds once they figure out that they're retired. And off-leash greyhounds are NOT a good idea, and its probably against the adoption rules of any reputable adoption group (the reason is that, since even a senior greyhound can move QUICKLY when he/she wants to -- a dog off the track can move nearly 1 mile per minute -- a hound can be more than a mile away by the time you figure out that he/she isn't going to come when you call for it). Bottom line is that a fence is not required, but a leash is an absolute MUST.

If you adjust your life for that, though, I think you'll find that a greyhound will fit nicely into your home, even though they probably are not going to enjoy (or be physically up to) the runs that you do. You can adjust for that easily, though (you may be leaving the grey home while you and Chase go for a nice little run).

Please keep us updated, and know that the RULES include many pictures of your family when you have a new addition!

As others above have said, off-leash for most Greys is a big no-no. There are some Greys, though, who have good enough recall that their parents are confident enough to let them run free. There are others who let their Greys off leash, even without good recall training, because they feel their dogs just won't leave them. This may work for some (dogs and people) but for most (again dogs and people) it won't.

You said in your post that you won't be looking for a Greyhound sooner than 4 years down the line. Is that what you meant? That's a long time. You have plenty of time to read all sorts of information about owning Greyhounds and I think you'll find that sticking with Dobies may be best for you.

Edited by Feisty49

Guest DogsR4Life

Thanks for all of the replies!

Yes I'm a very active dog owner, but exercise can be adjusted for the Greyhound. My main concern was off leash exercise, as I have heard of Greyhounds not being the best at recalls, just wondering if that was true and it seems it is.

Would leashed walks be enough exercise? I live in a very rural area with no fenced in property, which would mean the Greyhound will be on a 6ft or 20ft training lead. I wouldn't mind tucking the rescue in my bed while taking the Dobes out for an off leash hike.

What are the main health concerns? What routine tests do you guys do to stay proactive?

And yes, it will be at least 4 years before I start looking for a rescue, I want the right fit, for both myself and the dog.

One more of my guy:)

DSC_7757_zps93c0ac0d.jpg

Many greyhounds are so low energy that they make good apartment dogs. A nice walk once or twice a day is sufficient for them. Greyhounds cannot be teathered or put on a long rope. They hit 45 MPH in 3 strides and when they hit the end of the rope at that speed they can break their neck.

As others have said stick to the dobes or look at Labs or Boxers. They're both lovable and are high energy. Both breeds need a lot of exercise. The main reason you see fat Labs is because people don't give them all the exercise that they need. I have a neighbor who takes his Boxer on a 5 mile run every day. Both are also great family dogs.

PRINCESS
ANGELS: SUSIE (BANDIT SUE) 3/26/1991-5/13/2006, TIPPER (MPS KRISTINA) 7/23/1999-2/4/2008, LADYBUG (BB'S LADYBUG) 5/19/2005-7/9/2008,
HAPPY 12/2000-10/9/2013, RICHY (DON L RICHY RICH) 11/5/2002-5/17/2015, DARREN 9/24/2005-3/2/2017, TUCKER (AWESOME ABILITY) 12/29/2004-12/4/2017,
BUG (BB'S DANCING BUG) 5/19/2005-11/17/2018, Dee (KIOWA DIANDRA) 10/9/2007-6/20/2022, Buddy (PJ PLUTARCH) 11/21/2013-9/8/2023)

Guest DogsR4Life

I would never tether a dog, too much can go wrong. I have a 6ft and 20ft leash and harness that I use for tracking. I would walk the Greyhound in our field with it.

Dobermans have very high prey drive and my guy is tipping 100lbs so you have to be experienced in body language and recall training in order to safely have a dog on a long leash. I'm also very well aware of long necked breeds, Dobes are prone to CVI so collars are pretty much just for show. Walks are typically done in a harness :)

So what I'm gathering, leashed walks are enough for the Greyhound. Which seems like a cake walk for me :)

Just an alternative opinion; there are people on GT (myself included) who do walk their greyhounds off-leash if they have a suitable dog. And it goes without saying, only in suitable places. I don't know what your property is like, but if there are hazards like sudden drops, pot-holes, and other natural dangers, I wouldn't do it - as others have said, greyhounds are sighthounds and can take off running before you know it, and they don't always look where they're putting their feet. Their eyes on on their prey. Some have even shattered legs running into trees, or doors, or fences. Some have died doing so.

Roughly half my dogs have been off-leash dogs, by which I mean, we've walked them to a safe place on their leashes, and then let them off to run ahead, fall behind, but basically keep up with us as we walk. When we reached a hazardous area (in our case roads) we put the leashes on again. They've had a lot of recall training BEFORE being allowed off, and the training has continued during their lifetime - this is a must. We don't have dangerous wildlife, however, and the most dangerous natural hazards around here are the dykes, which are drainage ditches with very high, sloping banks. The water can be very, very deep, but mostly isn't - not around here. In flood times, I would NOT let them off lead.

You need to have a suitable dog. You need a bright dog who is safe around other dogs of all shapes and sizes, and has a little bit of 'street wisdom'. Many, many greyhounds will get themselves into trouble because they are not capable of learning to listen well enough. It is particularly important for them to listen to you when they see something exciting, because there may well be times when you want to command them to 'wait' or 'stay' or 'come' and have them obey PDQ. You may have snakes on your property, or coyote, or wolves or bears etc. Many greyhounds are daft enough to take on any or all of the above and you'd need to know that your dog would obey you in times of need, for their own safety.

Your situation sounds as if it could be OK, but as the others have said, greyhounds are not dogs with a lot of stamina. They don't do long hikes - well, most of them don't. You get the occasional one who enjoys it. :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Every dog is different. I had a greyhound that used to run 10k with me. I worked him up to that distance slowly, just like a person should do. It was fine. Also, I know some greyhounds that are fine off leash. It depends on the dog.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest DogsR4Life

Thank you for everyone's input, keep them coming!

I understand each dog is different, just like my Doberman, who is extremely gentle with small animals and as a general rule of the breed is not common at all.

If i do decide to adopt a Greyhound it will be through a reputable rescue, so that we can work together to find a near perfect match :)

I just find the breed very charming, endearing, and I think they look fabulous in custom collars ;) (I'm a collar holic!)

While I agree that they do look wonderful in custom collars, they also pee, poop and vomit, eat inappropriate objects, chew stuff, squeal like babies if they stub a toe and generally misbehave just like any other breed of dog. They can be fragile (very thin skin, sensitive to heat and cold and certain medications) and have different biochemistry. I feel it's also worth mentioning that they are very, very different in character to Dobermans and need a whole different training approach. They can be extraordinarily sensitive to things that wouldn't faze a Dobe, and their body language can be subtle to the point of almost non-existent to the un-trained eye.

What I'm trying to say is, don't get a greyhound because you like the way they look, or even because they have charming and endearing personalities (I very much agree on that, too, BTW ;)), without doing a little bit of research into the breed from a practical angle. I'd advise getting a copy of 'Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies' for a fairly in-depth peek into the life and mind of an ex-racer.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest DogsR4Life

While I agree that they do look wonderful in custom collars, they also pee, poop and vomit, eat inappropriate objects, chew stuff, squeal like babies if they stub a toe and generally misbehave just like any other breed of dog. They can be fragile (very thin skin, sensitive to heat and cold and certain medications) and have different biochemistry. I feel it's also worth mentioning that they are very, very different in character to Dobermans and need a whole different training approach. They can be extraordinarily sensitive to things that wouldn't faze a Dobe, and their body language can be subtle to the point of almost non-existent to the un-trained eye.

What I'm trying to say is, don't get a greyhound because you like the way they look, or even because they have charming and endearing personalities (I very much agree on that, too, BTW ;)), without doing a little bit of research into the breed from a practical angle. I'd advise getting a copy of 'Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies' for a fairly in-depth peek into the life and mind of an ex-racer.

Actually, they are very similar to a Doberman! That is what perked my attention :) Dobermans actually have Greyhound in their lineage and some of those traits show through:

Dobes are very sensitive, and need a totally different hand when training. They excel with gentle trainers, and if you ever raise your voice or show physical punishment, expect shut down Behavior for sure...or a bite.

Dobes are very intolerant to heat and cold, they need to be bundled up during cold months, and kept cool during hotter days.

Dobes are very thin skinned, so be aware of sun burn and thick brush/wooded areas.

Dobes are a stoic breed, get to know them or else you may not see early signs of troubled Behavior or medical problems.

Dobes are Velcro dogs and like to lean on you, or sleep on you, I saw that trait in a few Greyhounds :)

I have seen and been around greyhounds, both retired rescues and show bred ones, their similarities of a Doberman (minus the high energy and default protection traits) is what made me think I might open my heart to one in the future :)

Edited by DogsR4Life

I was actually thinking that with 18 acres, you could fence off a really big section as your own dog park which might work really well (and is definitely what I would do in a heartbeat! Keep it relatively clear and maintained and you could run your grey without an issue.

As for the rest, I currently own four and none of them have reliable recall. They only run in fenced areas. They do look great in custom collars and I do love the way they look, but they're also awesome dogs who fit my life. And that's the important thing. In some ways they are like dobes, but in important others they aren't. I'd also caution you against going for a grey because you feel sorry for them or want to 'rescue' them (not that you're saying you are but....). Many greys come from very good places, some need rescue but once they're in your home they cease to be a rescue and become a dog who is special for many reasons but not because they need help. I speak to a lot of people who are involved in rescue in many different ways and being a rescue dog is their main excuse for allowing their dog to misbehave. It allows them to feel good about themselves, but does nothing at all for the dog.

Guest DogsR4Life

I do have a friend that has 20 acres fully fenced in, I could make weekly trips there if the Greyhound wanted to stretch his legs.

I'm a huge advocate of training a dog for life, with the appropriate methods (BAT, NILF, clicker, LAT,). I do not believe in letting a dog run loose and have no boundaries, it's both stressful, and not healthy for the dog. Consistent, positive, reassuring training is the way to go :)

Once a dog enters your life, it's a long term commitment, and it's actually my career. I'm an REMT and CCMT (registered equine massage therapist and canine massage therapist) I also train and compete for SDDA events (Scent Detection). So, getting a rescue is not on impulse, nor is it influenced by emotion.

I will not be getting one for at least 4 years, so I have plenty of time to foster or visit more Greyhounds before adopting one :)

I am sure you would make a great owner, and you could make it work with a greyhound if that is the breed you really want. The only thing I would really think about is if having to leash a dog would fit your lifestyle. Having a nice huge property, and then having to leash my dog every time to go outside for pottying or exercise, would personally be annoying, but maybe you wouldn't mind that!! :P There are greys on here who can be walked off leash, but being free on a property (which I am assuming also goes onto a road) is a different thing, and few groups, if any, will adopt to homes that do this. The average grey will not be nearly as responsive to training as a dobie, but if you get a young grey you can work them up to being somewhat active (mine does about 4-5 miles per day). It just depends on the dog.

If you could fence off a portion of your property or even do a long run, that would be ideal and way easier. If you are into dog sports, you could even set up a lure course with some cheap fencing. :) Beautiful Dobie btw!

Guest Scouts_mom

You've asked about health issues with greys. They are generally very healthy dogs. Hip dysplasia is virtually unknown in greys. The big killer is Osteo (bone cancer) and all of us grey owners live in fear of it. Dobermans probably get it too as they are also big long legged dogs. Others have mentioned grey's thin skin that tears very easily, but I don't think anyone has mention corns yet. Corns seem to be something only greyhounds get, at least I have never heard of a non-grey with corns. They are not life threatening, but can make a dog miserable so you have to manage them. Otherwise greys are perfect dogs (just kidding) for some they are perfect but not for everyone.

Finally, your dobbie is beautiful.

+

m

Edited by Scouts_mom

I tend to agree with those who said a greyhound may not be the "perfect" fit for you, however I'm surprised that nobody (even ROBIN!) suggested a galgo. I think your home/lifestyle sounds perfect for a galgo. Very much like a greyhound except they are bred for endurance running (think 5 miles at a shot) over rough terrain. Health is very similar to greyhounds except their teeth are better and they're not prone to osteosarcoma. They're better problem solvers than greyhounds (in general) so can be pretty good about jumping over baby gates or fences and climbing over obstacles.

There are many of us here who represent various galgo rescue groups. For more info, you can google: Scooby North America, Save a Galgo Espanol, Sighthound Underground. Or PM me. :colgate

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

I got interrupted and lost my edit ability so have to just write another post. I want to add a bit about off-leash running. You do run the risk of losing a galgo just like a greyhound if you let it off leash in an unfenced area. However, galgos are used to that kind of "lifestyle" in Spain so being loose like that won't be as scary for them as it would be for a pampered and closely supervised racing greyhound. If you adopted from us, I would insist that you teach the dog a solid recall, however. I'm pretty sure (just my opinion) that many of the abandoned dogs in Spain are actually dogs that have run too far from their hunter and gotten lost. We don't want that to happen here.

Also galgos are great in multi-dog homes. They live in packs in Spain, and in the rescue shelters they're kenneled in packs. They're generally good with small dogs but are best with dogs of all breeds that are approximately the same size as them so that they can play together fairly.

On warning, though: they are avid hunters, so if you don't want him bringing home a steady stream of critters, then a galgo isn't a good choice!

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

Sharon, you're right. Xavi would be absolutely perfect for the OP's lifestyle. However, if one should be fortunate enough to end up with a dog like Iker, they would end up with a dog who doesn't really fit anybody's lifestyle :lol

There are many groups around, and since we all care about helping galgos and other dogs in Spain, it doesn't really seem right to me to push one over the other.

Having said that, I think it is wrong for people to come out and imply that a greyhound isn't the right sort of dog for this, that, etc. I have lived with three greyhounds, each of which have been different as night and day and would have fit into your described lifestyle one way or another. Greyhounds are dog, not porcelain sculptures. They don't break.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Very true, Robin. I was just adding a possibility that nobody had mentioned, since the OP asked to be educated. If she decides that greyhounds aren't right for her but feels that's very disappointing, galgos might be a way to have a different kind of greyhound that fits better. Since I've moved from greyhound adoption to galgo adoption - without cutting all ties to my greyhound adoption group - I've been analyzing ways to champion adoption for both breeds without a conflict. In general, I think potential adopters who have a more athletic and outdoor lifestyle may be better with a galgo and adopters who are less athletic may be better with a greyhound. No hard rules either way, of course.

And yes, individual variation means that really any dog might be fine in any home. I agree with you also about the personality of the galgo... my foster also would be a poor choice for someone like the OP. She would need a more confident, less skittish dog.

I don't think you'll find anyone willing to adopt a dog to you if you tell them straight up you intend to let it off leash-not any adoption group anyway. For what it's worth, many of us prefer the term "adopt" to "rescue." Rescue implies that the dog is in danger, or dire straights, and that's simply not true for the VAST majority of retired racers!

In Europe, lots and lots of people let their Greyhounds run off leash. It's just really not common at all in North America. Having said that, my dog, even when given the opportunity in a huge, fenced park, was much more interested in peeing on every fence post than running! He goes out 5x a day. One long walk, and four additional pee breaks.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

For what it's worth, many of us prefer the term "adopt" to "rescue." Rescue implies that the dog is in danger, or dire straights, and that's simply not true for the VAST majority of retired racers!

Agreed. My greyhounds are retired. My foster galgo child is rescued. It's a very clear distinction that I think we should start teaching the general public.

Agreed. My greyhounds are retired. My foster galgo child is rescued. It's a very clear distinction that I think we should start teaching the general public.

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph. Are we STILL beating this dead horse on GT?

Show me a racing industry where 100% of owners take back their dogs and then keep them or place them with adopters on their own dime, and then I'll tell you we don't have rescues in this dying racing industry.

Edited by 45MPHK9

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph. Are we STILL beating this dead horse on GT? Enough already. Seriously.

Show me a racing industry where 100% of owners take back their dogs and then place them on their own dime, and then I'll tell you we don't have rescues in this dying, senseless, godforsaken racing industry.

Not to mention completely irrelvent to the OP's original post.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg