Tar On Paw

Guest brit1

Guest brit1

Out walking today and perhaps because of heat the road work done on pot holes has become tarry. Stupid me didnt't realize and my dog has taw on his back paw. Anyone dealt with this? brit

There are a couple of things you can try. A cooking oil like vegetable or canola oil will help loosen it. You will need to work it in with a rag and the oil should help to break it up little by little. Peanut butter may also be oily enough to loosen it, but your hound will want to lick it which may make the issue worse.

If that doesn't work, you might try WD-40 or Goo Gone in small quantities on a rag, then work it into the tar using the rag to break it up. Try to avoid getting it all over the paw or leg as much as possible. Goo gone can be irritating to the skin, but may work better than the cooking oil to break up the tar. You will need to clean any of these afterward with soap and water, and rinse extensively.

When i was a kid, we always used a cleaner called Lestoil when we got tar on our skin or our shoes. Again any cleaner can be an irritant, so rinse, rinse and rinse again after you are finished.

Hopefully someone else may have a method that works with less of a chemical solution, but typically it takes an oil based product of some sort to break down tar.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I think WD40 should work...like Rocket says...use it sparingly and rinse rinse rinse.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

wd-40 is basically fish oil! so, if you do not have any try olive or another oil. i remember my salukis walking on oil based paint, veg. oil and rags were used to remove it. don't even think about paper towels, they make a mess. good luck!

Guest brit1

thanks for responses. My holistic vet called me back and told me to use olive oil - worked like a charm. I had to put a sock on him (taped it) and left it on for about 10mns and then wiped off. I did that several times (and put sock back on) and then washed his foot. Only side effect is now my blanket (I use washable blankets instead of bed spreads) has tar marks all over it from residue after cleaning the foot as his sock came off during the night. However this morning paw pad was dry and looked wonderful :) Was able to snip of the tar that was on his hair although wasn't really concerned about that. When it happened and we got home I was horrified when I saw his paw and the stones and stuff that had stuck on his paw but thankfully the olive oil removed everything and his paw looks great :) I might do it again tonight just to make sure I got all the residue and then wash it in the morning. brit