Leave Your Boo Boo Alone!

Guest Shermanator

Guest Shermanator

Travel had part of her toe amputated 2 weeks ago. She never messed with the bandages.

Now the stitches are out. She still has a small open wound. The vet wants the bandages off, so her foot can dry out and heal.

Now she's obsessed licking it.

Can't do the cone of shame- she can't get out the dog door with it, and will pee in the house.

Can't do a sock- she's chewed that off.

She licks through bitter apple spray.

What else can I do?

Ask your vet for atropine ophthalmic ointment . Hands down the worst tasting stuff on the planet. Never met a dog that would touch the stuff. Just apply a light coat around the affect area (not on the wound directly) and wash your hands!

Another thing you can try is a Medipaw boot-bit she may chew that off too.

Muzzle with a poop cup.

Yep.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

You can also put a small amount of duct tape over the end of a muzzle if a stool guard isn't available immediately. Just cover the end holes from the tip of the nose down, and just either side of center. Don't cover the whole thing as it will become hard to breathe through.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Echoing the Muzzle with the poop cup.. it's kept a few of my greys from worrying their wounds when they needed to heal.

@Rickiesmom: Yes, I also worry about this, but if they're wearing a large (boy sized) muzzle with the poop cup, there should be enough room for any vomit to fall back out. It's a lot better than spending a fortune fixing what they undo by licking and picking. BTDT.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Have you tried a "comfy cone"? It's like the cone of shame but the material is flexible so it doesn't stick straight out. It works just as well. It ties around the neck. I have had to tie it to Ian's collar because you have to get a size that's too big so it's long enough. There is also the Bite Not collar. Good luck! I hope your little girl heals well and quickly. :D

Lisa & Chris with Bella and Little Petey

~Our sweet Ian forever in our hearts~