Soft Stool

So anyone have a grey that has a super sensitive system. Ive had fanny on grain free, limited ingredient and holistic food. Since having her for 3 months I cannot find out what she is sensitive to. Her BM start out firm in the am and become a cow patty by the afternoon. I hate to put her on ID long term. Any suggestions on foods to try?? Also she is on probiotics.

Kristen mom to-

Sp FancyPants (Fanny)- 4.20.12 Adopted 3.8.14

Rico's Maggie (Maggie)- 12.3.12 Adopted 1.21.15

It's pretty normal for their poops to be firm in the morning and softer by the end of the day, but have you had a vet check to rule out anything medical? Is she scratching or biting at her tail or feet, or anything else to indicate an allergy? It would be helpful to know how much and how often you're feeding her as well. Also, how long are you allowing for her to adjust to a new food before switching again?

Lots of people here swear by plain ol' Iams ProActive Health (aka the green bag); it contains beet pulp, which seems to help firm up poop. Some of the fancier, more expensive brands have not been as successful, so try not to get too hung up on organic/holistic/etc. and just find something that works. My hound has done pretty well on just about everything we've given her, so I'm lucky in this department. It's a several-month-long process of trial and error for many hound owners, but you'll find your miracle food eventually! I am sure you'll get lots of responses from people who have been there, done that.

Edited by ramonaghan

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Ive had fanny on grain free, limited ingredient and holistic food.

A lot of greys don't do well on these kinds of foods- too rich. IMHO, food labeled with these buzzwords are a marketing scheme to get you to pay an exorbitant amount of money for dog kibble. There's nothing wrong with grain or corn or carbs in the diets of domesticated dogs.

I'd try her on IAMS green bag. Works miracles for soft stools. At least try it before going to the extreme (and expense) of prescription food.

It's pretty normal for their poops to be firm in the morning and softer by the end of the day, but have you had a vet check to rule out anything medical? Is she scratching or biting at her tail or feet, or anything else to indicate an allergy? It would be helpful to know how much and how often you're feeding her as well.

Lots of people here swear by plain ol' Iams ProActive Health (aka the green bag); it contains beet pulp, which seems to help firm up poop. Some of the fancier, more expensive brands have not been as successful, so try not to get too hung up on organic/holistic/etc. and just find something that works. My hound has done pretty well on just about everything we've given her, so I'm lucky in this department. It's a several-month-long process of trial and error for many hound owners, but you'll find your miracle food eventually! I am sure you'll get lots of responses from people who have been there, done that.

So no medical problems. No skin issues. I Am having issues getting/ keeping weight on her. I've done bloodwork everything is normal. This is my only hound ever to ever have this much problems with weight and finding a food that's good with her system. I also find I have to feed her 4-4.5 cups a day to keep weight on. That's why I wonder about an absorption issue. Edited by KristenMichele

Kristen mom to-

Guest sireltonsmom

I don't know what she weighs but 4 cups is normal in our house. Beau is on probiotics to help with his digestive system. See a small improvement in his poo. Good luck.

We she should weight 55-56 At least that was her racing weight. She weighs 53.0. I had her up to 55 but she lost it again. But also her stool has been loose. When I had her on purina one she had horrible diarrhea and was down to 52 right after we adopted her. So that's when I tried other food more high quality because I was concerned that she needed better quality food. My other dogs did great on Purina one. I did not try iams.

Kristen mom to-

Try not to over-analyze her weight. People will say that retired greyhounds should be at their racing weight or a few pounds above after they come home. Those aren't hard and fast rules, considering that many greys will lose a fair amount of muscle once they're off the track. Unless she's actively losing weight, has a parasite problem, or visually looks skinny (spine, hip points, and/or ribs protruding), a few pounds fluctuation isn't a big deal.

We use Iams in the green bag. I used to be a dog food snob and wouldn't feed "supermarket" brands. My dogs starting having problems and we tried the Iams and they have been doing great. We also used to add pumpkin and or yogurt every day. Now we do a probiotic in the morning. Sometimes if there is an issue, I will cook them oatmeal for a few days. It works better in this house than rice. I also give about an inch of Fresh Pet Select sliced in with their meals. It is fresh cooked chicken and vegetables that comes in a roll.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

We use Iams in the green bag. I used to be a dog food snob and wouldn't feed "supermarket" brands. My dogs starting having problems and we tried the Iams and they have been doing great. We also used to add pumpkin and or yogurt every day. Now we do a probiotic in the morning. Sometimes if there is an issue, I will cook them oatmeal for a few days. It works better in this house than rice. I also give about an inch olof Fresh Pet Select sliced in with their meals. It is fresh cooked chicken and vegetables that comes in a roll.

Is the Iams green bag the large breed formula??

Kristen mom to-

Is the Iams green bag the large breed formula??

When we got the mini chunks, my guys choked on it. We get the large breed at BJ's. It is 50 lb bag for $42 or so. Sometimes they have a $5 off coupon.

Guest OPointyDog

I've dealt with this with both of mine. One had a tenacious case of hookworms - it took several rounds of dewormer to get rid of them. So deworming is recommended with lots of dogs that are fresh off the track. She also did well on the red bag of Iams (lamb and rice). I tried lots of fancy foods - grain free, limited ingredients, organic - you name it. She does best on Iams. I think it's the beet pulp.

The other dog has absorption issues, and is on B12 shots. We could not keep weight on him and he had diarrhea for months on end. I tried a lot of different kinds of food. We even tried the hydrolyzed food to make sure it wasn't a food allergy. What finally worked, like magic, was a high fiber food (he's on Purina DCO). My theory is that the fiber slows down his digestive system, and allows him to absorb water and nutrients that otherwise would run through him. He's now put weight on and his coat looks so much better!

Each dog is different - you just have to find what works for your dog. Iams is a good place to start, since it seems to work for many greys.

Thanks all for the advice well I started the Iams last night and no joke she has had normal stool all day!! :)

That's amazing.