Petco/petsmart To Stop Selling Animal Treats From China

The issue is, people in general are very stupid. And most people don't take the time to read about things for their pets. They figure a trip to Petco or Petsmart is a special thing for their pet, and if those stores carry it, it must be good for their dog. So they buy this crap because it's on the shelf and then end up with a sick or dead dog. :(

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I think these actions are long overdue but, the FDA not making a stand has probably not helped them either - if the FDA made a strong statement, these retailers would have acted earlier. There is still the problem that Petco will have product on the shelf until the end of this year and Petsmart until spring of 2015.

Guest june

I had a very young (very foolish) employee at Petsmart tell me that treats made in China were fine and it was all just a scam. She stated there was nothing wrong with them! I didn't even argue with her because I didn't want to waste my breath. I'm very glad they are getting rid of the China crap!

Edited by june

Upon perusal of the chew treat selection at PetSmart yesterday, I didn't find any from China. That was good. I did, however, see a lot from India, Columbia, Argentina and IIRC also Thailand. While none of those countries have the bad rep that China does, they also aren't known for strict controls. I also don't see how it's possible for a company to keep a close eye on the quality of its product when the manufacturing process occurs so far away and out of its direct supervision.

Unless they made in the US or Canada I pass them all by. I couldn't find any that were, so no treats for Riley.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

At this point it's just easier to make my own jerky for the dogs...cheaper too.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--