Blood Work - Are These Values High For Greyhounds?

I recently had Django in for a check-up. He still appears to be in fighting form, although he is nine as of January. I have looked at the blood values for greyhounds posted at Greyt Health, but can't find mention of normal mcv and mch; his values are 74.0 (mcv) and 26.1 (mch). His total T4 has dropped from 10.04 to 6.95. My vet isn't concerned, but I'm considering changing insurance companies so I don't want any surprises down the road. Any opinions out there? Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure what mcv and mch are. Is there another term for those? If they aren't listed on the Greythealth site then they may be "other dog" and nothing different in greyhounds.

T4 usually reads .5 - 3.6 for greyhounds so unless they are using a different measurement value, you've got high numbers.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I recently had Django in for a check-up. He still appears to be in fighting form, although he is nine as of January. I have looked at the blood values for greyhounds posted at Greyt Health, but can't find mention of normal mcv and mch; his values are 74.0 (mcv) and 26.1 (mch). His total T4 has dropped from 10.04 to 6.95. My vet isn't concerned, but I'm considering changing insurance companies so I don't want any surprises down the road. Any opinions out there? Thanks in advance.

Are his values outside of the lab's normal range? Those should be included on the blood work results.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

His MCV and MCH are just outside the 'normal' range. Macoduck - I believe these values have something to do with the size of the red blood cells. With respect to his T4, the value is for 'total' T4 in nmol/L. (What ever that is!) Under 13 nmol/L is interpreted as low, so he's running pretty low.

His MCV and MCH are just outside the 'normal' range. Macoduck - I believe these values have something to do with the size of the red blood cells. With respect to his T4, the value is for 'total' T4 in nmol/L. (What ever that is!) Under 13 nmol/L is interpreted as low, so he's running pretty low.

I'm guessing your lab's T4 results are just in a unit that's off a decimal place from what we're used to seeing. It's totally normal for RBC related values to run slightly high in greyhounds so I wouldn't worry about those at all.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Regarding T4, this is from Dr Couto's site:

Most every normal Greyhound has low thryoid values. Most vets measure blood T4, which in non-Greyhound dogs should be in the 15-50 nmol/L; in Greyhounds, Salukis, and most other sighthound breeds tested, most dogs have values <15 nmol/L. In other words, a low thyroid "level" is ABSOLUTELY NORMAL in a Greyhound! Please do not give them "thyroid pills" unless your vet has documented hypothyroidism by other means.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png