Grinding Kibble

I'm interested in purchasing a food processor so that I have the option of grinding Robin's kibble up for various food-mixing options. His food preferences seem to vary....sometimes he's good with just plain kibble and pumpkin, but other times he just doesn't have an appetite. His weight stays okay, so I'm mainly concerned about getting some into him so that he can have his medicines and not have an empty stomach. I've found a few strategies that work for him, but I feel like a food processor might help speed things up a bit. :-) In particular, he likes when I soak the food until I can mash it and mix it with wet food, so that it is all the same consistency. Thinking food processor could help that.....

Question for any of you who have done this. Would a mini-processor be enough? I would ideally like to spend less than $50 on this venture, but I don't have a lot of food-processor experience and I don't know if kibble is a challenge to grind, necessitating more power. The ones I keep finding have about 250 watts. I don't want to waste the money if it won't help.

I'm thinking of using a Bed Bath & Beyond 20% coupon, but I need to decide what to get. Help?

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

When Paul had 27 teeth removed, at one time, I was grinding his kibble in a coffee mill. I blew it up. It just started smoking and died. I just soak his kibble now. I don't know if cheaper is going to be better in this case. Maybe not strong enough.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Molleigh just had 25 removed...I used my Ninja to puree the chicken and rice...next week I will probably soak her kibble then put it through the Ninja..once her gums heal maybe I will only have to soak the kibble. The Ninja makes greyt crushed ice too.

Just checked Kohls website...59.99 for the newer Master Prep and 50.99 for the one I have. If you have a Kohls near you it is a good deal because you get their Kohls cash for every $50 spent...

Edited by GreyKarma

Molleigh-and-Snowy-sig2.jpg

CAROL & Molleigh (Queen Molly)
My Angel Girl (Slippy's Molly) ~ Thank you for sending me your namesake ~

I went to walmart and got a food chopper by Oster for $20. I'm pleased to say it actually ground the kibble pretty well! And I like the price; since I'm going to designate it for only dog food, I didn't want to spend too much.

We'll see how it lasts, and how well "his highness" likes my experiments.....

:)

This might be too much of a pain, but I've been known to put kibble in a ziplock bag and take my anger out on it on a concrete floor with a wide side of a metal meat tenderizer. Does great things for one's mood!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest greytkidsmom

We use the "generic" magic bullet from Wal-Mart. We grind about 1/2 cup dry kibble at a time. Works perfectly. You will be surprised at the amount of water you need to add to make an easy to slurp slurry.

Well, the Oster food chopper at walmart for $20 was perfect. I was able to grind down a cup of food at a time, which is perfect. I was able to mix the powder into his wet food and he loved it. Perfect size, perfect price. Sadly, I got a dud....it stopped working the same night I bought it. So I exchanged it. This time only one button worked....and there was no guarantee that that would not stop working too.

So, I have not made another exchange, as the walmarts near me don't have much in stock, if any. But annoyingly, this one would be perfect if I could just find one that worked! I have other "food chopper" options that will work, but they are all more expensive. So we will see....

Robin has since stopped being quite so picky and will now eat his food again. So I have a little time to ponder this situation. Maybe try a couple more items.

:)