Immune System Support For Dogs?

I have had good luck with immune system support myself. After today's $189 vet visit (can you take dogs with you to the poorhouse?)

it seems, and the vet agrees, that Poodle's immune system may be failing in part due to his age and diabetes. He has conjunctivitis as well as an ear infection. We've got optic drops, paste in his ears and his controlled substance script for his collapsing trachea.

Ideas?

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

My vet suggested the following supplements for immune boosting, you may want to run it by your vet to make sure there is nothing here that will be bad for Poodle:

1) Vitamin E 400 iu daily

2) Vitamin C up to 1500 mg daily

3) A mushroom complex with S.h.i. - taki, Maitaiki, Cordyceps, Coriollis, turkey tail etc. (I had to spell the first mushroom funny as GT's automatic editor thought I was using the slang word for poop!).

For the last one I found from Metagenics, Mycotaki, which I bought from Amazon. I'm still waiting for it to arrive (it was not eligible for Amazon Prime), so I bought one at Whole Foods in the mean time. I cannot remember what brand it is, I'll look when I get home.

ETA, my vet practices both Western and holistic, combines them both. I really have a lot of faith in her. I forgot to add that both of my dogs are on Drenatrophin PMG. I either buy it from her or I get it on Amazon. She doesn't "encourage" me to buy from her, no strong arming.

Also, bear in mind, these are dosages for greyhounds, not smaller dogs. I am not sure how a smaller dog would be dosed. She did want me to dose Carl as an adult human for the mushroom supplement.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

There's really no such thing as "immune system support" or "boosting the immune system" in general, except by things like eating good food, getting appropriate vaccines, and getting enough sleep. Save your money.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

This has been bugging me. Poodle eats Natural Balance which is a decent food. Except for the occasional vet or doctor visit we have no set agenda so we all get plenty of sleep. I quit all vaccines except rabies when he was 10 which is what my main vet does with his personal dogs. When he got his rabies shot at 13 I was told that would be his last one. Considering his current health I strongly doubt if he'll make it to needing another and I honestly don't know what else I can do for him.

I just wondered if based on my personal experience if there was perhaps something I could do (without spending a ton of money) that might help and couldn't hurt. Oh well. scratch that thought.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Pam, for some, a slaw of cruciferous veggies is good. Certainly can't hurt (if he'll eat it :lol). I know Dude from the Osteo Thread ate cruciferous veggies :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Well at the very least it won't hurt Barkley either :lol

Some Fresh Factors from Springtime, Inc. couldn't hurt, either :)

I giggled the other day - a greyhound friend has found herself with an IG so she's been asking me lots of questions. She posted a pic yesterday of him eating a salad. Yes, a salad. He doesn't want hot dogs or anything like that. Lettuce and carrots. So he gets a salad along with his dog food :lol

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Sadly, cruciferous vegetables are a no-no for dogs who are hypothyroid, that's why my vet suggested an alternative. A small amount is ok, but more than that and it can wreak havoc, even if they are medicated for it.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

That's great to know for future cases! My iggies are both hypothyroid so I'll remember that, should we find we need some immune-boosting. Thanks for sharing that.

Krissn333, I was at Trader Joe's yesterday (don't know if they have one in your area), but in their bagged salad section they had a bag called something like "crunchy cruciferous". Probably pretty expensive on a regular basis, but in a pinch or for convenience it would be super easy to grab and use! Maybe nuke it for about 10 - 15 seconds, then put it in the blender or food processor and puree it. My vet said that when I give veggie slop it should be pureed as their bodies don't break veggies down like ours does. More available good stuff if it is pureed.

We don't have one close by...it's a couple of hours away. Coincidentally I'm headed there next Saturday with a friend :)