Greyhound Growth Question

Guest TirzhaZ

Guest TirzhaZ

Hello all! I'm curious to know your answers to this, and I know everyone's will differ. I'm just comparing for comparison's sake!

Cairo is 10 months old and close to 60 pounds. He is on a strictly raw diet and I know dogs often grow a little slower on raw. I've been told to expect him to grow until around 18-24 months.

So my question is for those of you that have raised pups (but I'd love to hear everyone's answers if you'd like to answer whatever part of this you can!)

How old was your grey when he/she finished growing? Male or female? Final optimal weight?

Again, I'm just curious. I'm trying to figure out what Cairo's adult weight will be around for feeding purposes. I'm guessing around 75lbs but I'm clueless!

Also, this post is a good excuse for us to all talk about our greys....and I love any excuse to do that!

Oh look, a photo! :colgate

1396894_10152645965802814_1905711006_o.j

felix reached maturity somewhere around 3 years of age. kibble fed, i don't know if it really makes a difference. there will be lots of ups and downs in rib/hip coverage, lots of muscle development and watch out...feeding has nothing to do w/ this...but adolescence will be setting in very soon. fasten your seat belt!

here are some links for maturity pics take a peek- he's now somewhere around 75#s, 29-30" at the shoulder

9 months old

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/GHRR/photos/albums/666315848/lightbox/1060178256?orderBy=ordinal&sortOrder=asc

almost 3

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/GHRR/photos/albums/666315848/lightbox/908535540?orderBy=ordinal&sortOrder=asc

almost 7

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/GHRR/photos/albums/666315848/lightbox/1731089701

the biggest changes are in muscle and bone.

Edited by cleptogrey

Guest TirzhaZ

felix reached maturity somewhere around 3 years of age. kibble fed, i don't know if it really makes a difference. there will be lots of ups and downs in rib/hip coverage, lots of muscle development and watch out...feeding has nothing to do w/ this...but adolescence will be setting in very soon. fasten your seat belt!

NO NO NO! What do you mean adolescence will be setting in SOON?! Am I not in it already?! Ruh-roh!

I never had a pup, nor feed raw, so I can't answer your question. But he is ADORABLE!!!!!

Thanks (although I can't take the credit I guess!) He likes to put his snow goatee on to entice the pointer lady next door :hehe

Yep, larger dogs take a very long time to mature (physically and mentally). Fasten your seatbelt! Truman's frame stopped growing somewhere around 11-12 months, but he didn't fill out completely until about 2 years old. Even now, he's still on the gangly side.

I stopped noticing changes in Kili around 13-14 months. Her weight has stayed stable around 26 kg since that time. And I have not seen any noticeable change in height either. I also had to x-ray her around 15 months for an injury and noted that her growth plates had closed. That said she's still kind of a bean pole, so I'm thinking she'll probably fill out a bit more. She's been exclusively kibble fed, puppy kibble until about 13 months and a high calorie adult food since then.

As far as behaviour... at 18 months I am FINALLY starting to notice her settling down a bit. She's able to actually turn off and relax in the evenings even if she hasn't had a lot of exercise that day. So that's nice. Her brain still comes in and out, but mostly it seems to be in. The girls definitely mature mentally faster though, so with a boy I probably wouldn't expect his brain to come in until after 2 years old.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Lilly is now almost 30 months old - 2 1/2 years. She's gigantic. At least height wise. About 34 inches tall at the shoulder. But she only weighs about 77 lbs. She *finally* stopped growing at about 15 months, though I keep waiting for her to develop a chest. She still has a bit of a rudder - I can span her chest with my palm, and see her heart beating on both sides of her!

It's only been in the last 3 or 4 months that we've gotten through the final (I hope) puppy phase. She's actually listening to us again and not being a ccomplete butthead outside.

Good luck! He's adorable!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

The girls definitely mature mentally faster though, so with a boy I probably wouldn't expect his brain to come in until after 2 years old.

i agree 100% but personally i think the boyz are a hoot! 2 years???? if you are lucky!!

for some strange reason i remember felix getting taller even after 18 months. i always stand over his shoulders...or at least i did until they seemed too high! also, he became able to lick more of the dinner plate on the table(after the meal was completed of course!)