New Food - Proplan Sensitive Tummy

a week or so ago I posted about Ruby having really bad gas on the Natures Domain salmon food she had been on for a couple years after opening a new bag. Several foods were suggested, but the one I saw most frequently recommended was ProPlan for sensitive tummies, so I bought that. The first day I mixed it half and half, horrible gas. Each day for 4 days I added a bit more of the new food and tonight that is all she got. I am going to take the Nature Domain bag back to Costco so wanted to switch her quickly, and felt like if it was causing her so much trouble I should make the change fast.

So far tonight I have sent her out twice to go potty (which she didn't do) and the gas is WORSE !

I honestly don't know how it could be, but it seems worse. She is snoozing away and doesn't act miserable.

Is this normal and her tummy needs to adjust to the new food ? She seems to love it and gobbles it up which she hadn't been doing with the old one.

Did I switch her too quickly ? She was recently tested for worms and all was clear. No new treats, no new stress. Stick with it a while to see if it stops or go look for a new food ? I hate this food switching game and it always seems like we end up back with the Costco food.

Thanks !

Karen

I know it was fast but I thought if the old food was giving her so much gas, maybe she was uncomfortable, and a few people suggested I switch her to another food as soon as possible.

Maybe that is why the new food is giving her gas and I need to wait a while to see if it improves ? Poops look normal and are at the same times as before the switch.

Karen

I don't think the change was too fast. In my opinion (which is worth what you paid for it :) ) if you are switching food because the old food was not working, you want to stop feeding it as soon as you can. It may take her a few days completely off the old food to see an improvement, but if she is still gassy after a few days on all the new food, it may not be the answer for her :(

Anything going on other than the gas? Is it possible she is eating something in the yard? Did you take a stool sample in to the vet to be sure everything is OK? If everything else is good I'd give it some time. Also sometimes they need a dose of antibiotics when things go wrong with the digestion which is another reason to talk to your vet.

Good luck.

There are so many different opinions about switching slowly or quickly. The group to which I belonged has a foster mom who switches immediately to whatever food the group is passing out to the foster homes. Pretty much it's whatever comes to the group for free or on which they can get a good deal. She says she has no issues with switching immediately.

Anything going on other than the gas? Is it possible she is eating something in the yard? Did you take a stool sample in to the vet to be sure everything is OK? If everything else is good I'd give it some time. Also sometimes they need a dose of antibiotics when things go wrong with the digestion which is another reason to talk to your vet.

Good luck.

No, She was just tested for worms in late January and she doesn't eat a thing in the yard. If this continues I will take her in again.

Thanks everyone.

Edited by Busderpuddle

Karen

I feed Natures Domain Salmon and switch it up occasionally with the Kirkland lamb. This has worked well for us for about three years. I recently bought a new bag of the ND salmon and although Elliott seems fine with it, Lea, has been having some stomach gurgles and seems more gassy, and her poos have been less firm. I usually add human glucosamine & chondroitin and a fish oil pill, but a couple of weeks ago I also started them on The Missing Link joint and coat supplement, and Naturvet digestive enzymes and probiotics (they turned 9 & 10 last month and I felt like I should be adding something more to ensure continued good health) so it is hard to know whether it is the food or the extra additions. In reading your posts about ND, I am wondering too if maybe ND changed their formula, or maybe we got bags from the same batch (I got mine at the Clackamas Costco store). For now I've taken Lea off the probiotics and missing link for now to see if her tummy is happier. If it doesn't resolve in a few days, I'm going to get a bag of Kirkland lamb, since that is what I usually rotate with.

Theresa (Tess)

Mom to Elliott (Sol Flasher) and Lea (PTL Lea)