Hydrotherapy?

vjgrey

Diamond turned ten in December, and while she's generally in really good health, we are starting to see a bit of wobbliness in her hind end. She also has a herninated disc in her neck, which is currently not symptomatic but it's still there, since her neurologist didn't recommend surgery. She's still really active, but the disc issue does limit our walks somewhat, since we don't like to do anything high-impact for too long. I've been considering hydrotherapy as a more gentle/low-impact way to rebuild some of the muscle tone in her back end, and would LOVE to hear any and all experiences with it.

Is it a good way to build muscle tone in an older dog?

Is it better (for this purpose) to use swimming or the underwater treadmill?

Any experience with hydrotherapy and pet insurance?

Anyone know the best place for this in the DC Metro? I've been looking at Iron Pup 'N Iron in Fredericksburg.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

I take Sid to hydrotherapy and it's really been very good for him. He loves it, too.

However, for a herniated disc in the neck and a wobbly back end I personally think the underwater treadmill would be better for Diamond.

Hydrotherapy is great to wear them out a bit while still being gentle on them, and substitute for a walk without putting too much strain on injuries or old joints, but it's not as good as the treadmill for building muscle tone. You'd need to go about three times a week for that. Also I would worry a bit about Diamond's neck, since they have to hold their heads at a slightly un-natural, elevated position to be able to keep their heads above water.

Sid wears a neck support, but though he has no spine issues, I do worry sometimes about the angle of his neck, which is SO different to the way he holds his head when he walks. It's not been a problem for him actually, but with a herniated disc in the neck, I might think twice.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I take Sid to hydrotherapy and it's really been very good for him. He loves it, too.

However, for a herniated disc in the neck and a wobbly back end I personally think the underwater treadmill would be better for Diamond.

Hydrotherapy is great to wear them out a bit while still being gentle on them, and substitute for a walk without putting too much strain on injuries or old joints, but it's not as good as the treadmill for building muscle tone. You'd need to go about three times a week for that. Also I would worry a bit about Diamond's neck, since they have to hold their heads at a slightly un-natural, elevated position to be able to keep their heads above water.

Sid wears a neck support, but though he has no spine issues, I do worry sometimes about the angle of his neck, which is SO different to the way he holds his head when he walks. It's not been a problem for him actually, but with a herniated disc in the neck, I might think twice.

Thanks for this. Definitely something to consider.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

If it is available, I would absolutely pursue hydrotherapy...it's amazingly good for them.

I wish they had something like that available around here. I'd have taken Ace and Carrie.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Would laser therapy be an option for a disk injury? I did wonders for Pudge's shoulder.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I've worked with Carol Wasmucky, a physical therapist, who does hydrotherapy at Seneca Hill Vet off Rt. 7 near Reston. Mandy refused to do the hydrotherapy, but I know several dogs who did it and it worked wonders. Carol can also help you with simple exercises to help Diamond. I really think she got me an extra year or so with Mandy. She also practices at South Paws, which is closer to you, but they don't have hydrotherapy access there.

Dr. Kocen at SouthPaws does acupuncture and cold laser treatments. He is a dream to work with. If you choose to go with him, he will be honest with you about what he can and can't do to help.

Edited by MandysMom

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.