Tick War!

Guest carriej

Guest carriej

I am about to wage war.

There is like 6 feet of snow outside, it is like -30 and I AM STILL FINDING THESE TICKS.

The vets here don't know what to tell me, it's not something they ever had to deal with. We don't have ticks here.

They are all amazed and enthralled by them, but not me... Because they are in my HOUSE!

I found another on Chance. Pulled that sucker out and killed it. I found one tonight in the linen closet... I spend the past 10 days cleaning because I was so paranoid and I didn't think anything would survive my bleach fest... I guess I was wrong.

I bought the only product in my entire town designed to kill ticks but it's unsafe for pets.. It's a powder. I am skeptical to use it.

I don't know where these beasties are hiding or how to get them out; but I am hoping some of you people who deal with these guys more can help me out... I have a central vac, so I have been vacuuming non stop all around the trim and anywhere they can hide but I am getting super discouraged.

They are all amazed and enthralled by them, but not me... Because they are in my HOUSE!

Sorry, but I couldn't help but laugh at this comment.

The brown dog tick is the only kind of tick that can complete its life cycle completely indoors and thus infest indoor environments. Everything I read is that these infestations are very difficult to clear. I know you said that there really aren't any exterminators in your area, but if you could find one who is willing to work with you, do the research, and order the proper products, that would probably be your best bet. Professional exterminators have access to products that you can't buy yourself, and a licensed exterminator should have the resources to get the information they need to help with this problem.

Here are a couple sites with more information about the brown dog tick (the 2nd one has some really gross images):

http://www.pestid.msu.edu/InsectsArthropods/BrownDogTickRhipicephalussanguineus/tabid/287/Default.aspx

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/urban/medical/brown_dog_tick.htm

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

^^^ This. (Darn quote function doesn't work on this computer.)

When I adopted Summit I was still in vet school. I found 2 ticks on him and took them to my parasitology prof to be identified. They were brown dog ticks. And he warned me that they can set up shop in the house. He said down in the parts of the States where this tick is a problem (we don't have them in Canada... Summit picked them up at the adoption kennel from another dog) you can pull cages out from the wall in a clinic and the wall behind the cages will be just solid ticks. Talk about gross. Needless to say I was concerned... but fortunately the ticks I pulled off of him were nymphs (not adults) and I treated him with Advantix ASAP and we never did end up with an infestation.

But yes, they can be tough to get rid of. I'd recommend getting your house professionally exterminated/fumigated! I am assuming your houndie is now on prevention/treatment.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Here's what I'd try first... use the powder IN your central vac collection bin (or whatever it is!) If you're vacuuming them up, they may be in there... I would NOT use any powder that's not safe for pets anywhere else in your house!!!!!

I don't know much about brown dog ticks (we don't have many here) but I don't THINK they transmit any diseases (will go online & check it out). If that's the case, then they're just gross & don't cause a health threat.

If you call an exterminator, make ABSOLUTELY sure what they're planning on using/doing before hiring them. And get good recommendations from people you KNOW...

good luck! (Off to look up brown dog tick...)

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/urban/medical/brown_dog_tick.htm

Oops... they can transmit erlichiosis & babesia... but they'd have to have an infected host to pick either up...

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Call the professionals. Do not wait any longer.

Be prepared to cover your fish tanks and move all other pets out of the house for the day.

Did I say "Call the professionals"? Yes, I did. Do it. Now.

(Friend had a tick infestation at home years ago, before there were some of the chemicals we have now. It was beyond awful. Ticks are hard to kill.)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Please investigate food grade diatomaceous earth before waging an all out chemical war on ticks! If you get 100% pure DE (most commercially available food grade DE has fillers to keep the cost down), you can actually EAT the stuff! You can use it inside, outside, on your pets, on your carpets (although I wouldn't recommend it only because it might kill your vacuum cleaner), tile, wood, whatever. It took some time, but I actually found 100% pure food grade DE at a feed store very near my home! Google it and be amazed! The only cautionary statement that I remember is to try not to breath the dust if you can help it.

Living in FL, you can imagine the insect parade that can happen if any area of a home, inside or out, remains untouched for any length of time; fleas and ticks and roaches - oh my! It's disgusting! There's a video on you tube that shows how to make your own applicator to as not to waste it - the powder is extremely fine!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Diatomaceous earth doesn't kill ticks. All it does is make it harder for you and your dogs to breathe.

To kill ticks, you need chemical.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I don't know much about brown dog ticks (we don't have many here) but I don't THINK they transmit any diseases (will go online & check it out). If that's the case, then they're just gross & don't cause a health threat.

Unfortunately, dog ticks can transmit diseases like Lyme & some othes. They just aren't the primary species known for doing so.

Guest carriej

I have no carpeting in my home, and I did get some food grade diatomaceous earth (the eatable stuff... I called the company and they were telling me to put it in my yogurt and all kinds of other crazy stuff...I won't be eating it but at least it's safe). I plan on shoving it into all the baseboards, even if it's useless I will feel better. I have a central vac, I think those are pretty unkillable. Maybe not, but you should see all the things I have sucked up with it. Whole socks, etc.

Here is the issues I have.

I have a huge (6 foot), unmovable aquarium worth several thousands of dollars. It has lots of open filtration, and if it's covered for that long I will lose stuff, I can't cut off the air that long or my oxygen will dip. I don't know what to do here.

The "bug guys" are adament these guys won't set up shop. "ticks don't infest houses". They think I am nuts... Plus, to be honest I don't trust any of them. Bugs in houses aren't really an issue here... Most of them seem to deal with infestations of other kinds (mice, rats, even bats,l etc)

These dogs are not in a Canadian kennel, they are brought directly from the states and placed - the adoption group has no kennels, so they are adopted or placed into foster homes before coming to Canada (she has pictures of the ones she is bringing up). They were all dewormed, deflead, deticked and on preventative when adopted. He is also still on preventative, but it isn't working. I also have cats, and a lot of products that kill ticks can't be used on cats.

I contacted my adoption group, and they have placed over 700 greyhounds and she said she has never heard of ticks in house or found any in hers, so she is a little lost on what to tell me to do.

Altogether, since September, I have found 7. I think. All but one were found in the last Month or so.

If you don't have tick spray there for pets you can easily order some off amazon. They have stuff that you spray around your house to kill them and is designed for use with pets. Or....turn off your heat, open the doors and windows and freeze the buggers out!! lol :P

Guest carriej

I will look into these sprays... I am at war with the ticks!

I am going to have to go for tick testing myself since I have an autoimmune disease... I don't think I was bit, but doc wants to be safe than sorry.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest carriej

UGH

So I thought I won the war.

Been checking all 4 animals daily for signs of ticks... None

Rubbing chance, and find a freakin ENGORGED SUCKER on his shoulder. So sad. I tried so darn hard, I fear it was there awhile. However it still had a slightly "empty bag" look about it. Preserved it in alcohol with the other one.

I am so upset once again... To boot my cats ate a bunch of bones tonight... I might as well just drop them all off at the vet tomorrow and give her my SUV as payment.

We had ticks for the first time ever this year. Nothing got rid of them. We found tens of them. We would search before and after they used the yard, and they had no more coming in from the yard; they were coming from inside the house. We searched them 3x/day, put them in alcohol to kill them. There were more every time; the numbers never started to taper off.

We froze the beds overnight in the casket freezer after some experiments showed the ticks died after -20 in a jar in the freezer. We put ticks in a jar with diatomaceous earth (Safer's brand) and shook it up; they were still alive 5 days later. DE is apparently useless. The "Adams" brand stuff (methoprene + etofenprox, I think it is) was useless. We applied it, the ticks came out and asked if they could have some more, please.

At wit's end, we got collars from the adoption group: amitraz (Preventic). The ticks died faster than my 401(k) did circa 2008.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Amitraz works wonderfully for ticks, but unfortunately it kills cats. :(

Only if applied to the cat or if it's ingested. So unless a cat might chew on it, Preventic collars are fine to use on the dogs even if there are cats in the home.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Only if applied to the cat or if it's ingested. So unless a cat might chew on it, Preventic collars are fine to use on the dogs even if there are cats in the home.

That would be good news for those with cats. I think it was 3 years ago and last year I dealt with a terrible tick infestation. Both times were in the winter. I can't remember how I finally got rid of them the first time, but I remember finally breaking down and putting a Preventic collar on them and it didn't even phase the ticks. I believe now that I got collars that perhaps hadn't been stored properly and had lost their effectiveness, because when I experienced the last infestation it took just a few days after putting the collars on and I wasn't finding any more ticks.

Another thing that I think has helped is restricting their access from a part of the yard I believe they were picking them up from.

I believe now that I got collars that perhaps hadn't been stored properly and had lost their effectiveness, because when I experienced the last infestation it took just a few days after putting the collars on and I wasn't finding any more ticks.

Our adoption group used Preventic collars in the kennel until they fell apart- using and re-using the same collar until embrittled so badly they had to be discarded. Apparently they remained effective for many months of use.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest carriej

My cats all sleep with the dog; and rub and lick his face/body so I would be a bit concerned about using one on him...

Darnit why are all the good things so dangerous to kitties?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest carriej

OK. Good news (I hope).

We haven't seen any ticks since last month. Had a near melt down today when I seen some kind of critter on my wall but it was thankfully a spider (I know, never thought I would be happy to see a spider of all things).

I am happy, Chance is happy. Now let's hope it's the end of these beasts!