Eagle Pack Dog Food

Guest Roc

Hi guys!

So, my Tango is currently eating Iams & he's doing great on it. However, sometimes I feel guilty that I should have him on a higher quality kibble (that doesn't break the bank).

I've already tried Natural Balance, TOTW & Costo's brand which resulted in GAS CITY mixed w/soft poops. As I continued my search for something with beet pulp already in it, I saw that dogfoodadvisor.com rated Eagle Pack = 4 stars vs. Iams at only 2.5 stars. I decided to give Eagle Pack a try and Tango enjoyed it and his poops were solid!

Has anyone else tried Eagle Pack? If so, did your hound like it and have you stuck w/it?

Used it years ago until my boy flared up...didn't know it until a couple years later, but he had Lupus and Dog Chow controlled it. All the high quality/grain free foods flared his Lupus up.

Now I use Diamond Naturals...a 40 lb bag is about $30 at Menards/Pet Supplies Plus

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

We used Eagle Pack when Rocket first came to us. All was good until the company was sold and all of the formulas changed (read ingredients cheapened) causing explosive diarrhea and gastric issues. (Eagle Pack used to be a small family run company with tight quality control, but was sold out to one of the large dog food companies with more cost control than quality control in mind.) That was about 4-5 years ago.

We've been down the road of trying different kibbles, including IAMS. We experienced poor coat and skin flaking on IAMS, but there are numerous folks here who feed IAMs and it works well for their dog. Food is not about your guilt, but rather what works for the dog. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Many greyhounds thrive on IAMS.

Remember that much of the pet food out there is more about marketing and profit than what's good for your pet. We now use Precise because it's what works for Rocket after much trial and error with other brands. Good luck!

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest WhiteWave

I use Eagle Pack or Holistic Select in my rotation and have never had any problems with either. Ronon and Rocky are just finishing up a bag of Eagle Pack Original small bites. I was ordering stuff and needed some extra money for free shipping.

eagle pac and hollistic select owned by the same co. i did see a change when the company changed ownership a couple of years ago. i ended up trying quite a few brands and found that blue seal lamb and rice crunchies worked even better. 40# for $37. the blue seal is a farm food, manufactured in kansas. if you find it you might be surprised.

Guest WhiteWave

I know they are owned by the same company. Wellpet owns them amongst other foods. But they separated them after buying out Eagle Pack. It used to be Eagle Pack Holistic Select, now just Holistic Select. I rarely feed the same food for 2 bags in a row, so if there was any change, I never noticed it in my dogs. They eat many different brands of food. But when all else fails, I never have issues with Pro Plan, Eagle Pack or Merrick. But I am looking forward to trying Farmina N&D when it becomes available in the next few weeks in the USA. But it is way pricier, but one of the most meat based foods coming in at 95-97% of protein coming from meat.

Blue Seal is not sold anywhere near me.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest laceyj

I have fed Eagle Pack for many years to my own dogs and the dozens I have fostered. I have always had good luck with it and each dog has tolerated it very well. I never experience gas issues with my hounds either. I do think it is a good quality food, reasonably affordable and reasonably available. I have worked an arrangement with a local farm and garden store who sold a small variety of dog food. At the time he didn't carry Eagle but could get it from his wholesaler. He oders the Eagle Pack lamb and rice adult dog food in the breeder bags. Breeder bags are 50lbs, plain white label, plain white bag. He sells them to us at just baely above his cost/ He still makes out because he orders 2000 lbs of our food and then what ever else he wants to carry in his store in any amounts. Because his order is over the 2000lb mark it bumps him up to the next level and his cost is much lower. The more you order the less you pay. There were several of us on the same food and more have gotten on the band wagon, so to speak, over the years. He is happy with the arrangement in that we have brought more business/traffic into his store and they sometimes buy other things too, bird seed, rock salt, etc. Also, his dog food costs have gone down considerably.