Christmas Tree Tips

Guest laura150

Guest laura150

This is our first Christmas w/Ernie and we're getting and putting up our tree tonight. I'm a little nervous about his reaction. Any tips for 'greyhound' proofing the tree?

Guest FreeholdHound

This is Harry's 2nd Xmas w/us & he's never showed any interest in the tree. A few of the round ornaments (non breakable) he seemed to think were balls & tried to snatch but I just moved them higher. I tie off the top of the tree to a hook in the wall as a precaution, but that's something I've always done due to dogs, cats, small children etc.

What he finds irresistable is all the Xmas bears, Santas, and Snowmen. He thinks they're stuffies & was stealing them constantly as we were setting things up. He ate the top hat off a small snowman candle before I could get to it. No harm done, but a lot of the small things that were extra fill ins stayed packed away.

Mine have never paid any attention to the Christmas tree. Other decorations seem to be fair game, however, so make sure everything within reach is dog safe - and NOT an heirloom! If you need to, you can always put an x-pen or baby gate in front of the tree.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I have not put mine up yet, because it is Payton's first Christmas here. I am not too concerned about the tree itself (other than maybe him seeing it as indoor plumbing) but I am sure the other decorations will be too tempting to resist.

61bd4941-fc71-4135-88ca-2d22dbd4b59a_zps

Payton, The Greyhound (Palm City Pelton) and Toby, The Lab
Annabella and Julietta, The Cats
At the Bridge - Abby, The GSD

Guest Clawsandpaws

I just put up the first tree since Dudley has been with us. It's been almost 2 years! He sniffed the tree (it's a live one) and that was it, never even noticed it again.

Since he doesn't have a tail, we never have to worry about him knocking stuff :) however, I used plastic ornaments just in case!

My dog pays no attention to the tree, except the other night when I was "fixing it" and knocked it over onto his (occupied) dog bed!!!

My cats don't either, which shocked me. I was mostly afraid the dog would pee on it, but he hasn't (that I know of).

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I hang bells on the bottom three branches of my tree. If I hear a bell ring I know someones into the tree and can correct them. Works like a charm! Our newest Baby hit the bells once and I told her to get away from the tree and she's not gone back to it. I think I've heard the bells maybe three times to far and twice it was a dogs tail hitting the bells.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I hang bells on the bottom three branches of my tree. If I hear a bell ring I know someones into the tree and can correct them. Works like a charm! Our newest Baby hit the bells once and I told her to get away from the tree and she's not gone back to it. I think I've heard the bells maybe three times to far and twice it was a dogs tail hitting the bells.

Brilliant!

53827132849_248d9686fd_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart