Clavamox Dosage

Chloe gotta another gash/cut (we call her Clutsy Chloe) and the e-vet (who also thought she need full anesthesia for a few sutures and that greyhounds were just like all other dogs and did not need special consideration for anesthesia) prescribed Clavamox 250 mg for her antibiotic. But he prescribed a 20 day dosage! That seems a little excessive to me. I thought 10 was standard. It's not like her wound was super bad or anything or already showing signs of infection.

I already have my concerns about this guy. Should I be concerned about following his instructions about the 20 days? Could that actually harm her?

He also told me I HAD to get the RX filled there and did not want to give me a written script. I insisted and easily got it filled for half the cost at Diamondback Drugs.

Qui me amat, amet et canes meas...et felem.

Olivia (RDs Merrygoround, b. 4/6/07, Gotcha 12/19/11

Chloe (PAR Candice, b. 5/22/08, Gotcha 12/18/12)

Guest Clawsandpaws

This is basically what I found on the internet "Average use for clavamox is around 7-14 days, with the 14 days being recommended for UTI's. Dosage should not be given for more than 30 days, and 21 days for a severe case of pyomedra(??)and infections showing no sign of improvement within 3-5 days should be reevaluated by a vet"

20 days seems WAYYY too long a dose. Can you call your regular vet in the morning just to double check?

Guest Clawsandpaws

Sounds like a low dose-most hounds would take 375mgs twice daily--20 days seems excessive.

In the kennel we have 250mg, the dose is twice a day, I am assuming that is what AZgreygirl meant. On the internet it says that the dose should be 6.25mg per pound, so 500mg total would be for an 80 lb dog. Of course I am not a vet, but 250 2x daily seems okay

250 mg of Clavamox given twice daily is appropriate for a 40-lb dog. Since most female greyhounds are closer to 60 lbs, 375 mg is the more typical dose needed, as tbhounds mentioned. Was your prescription for 40 tablets, to be given twice a day? 20 days does seem a bit excessive for a minor cut, although it won't hurt (unless it upsets her stomach, and that usually becomes evident in the first few days of treatment).

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

It's a bit of a haul for me but I drive over to Homestead in Mesa. Since he does the vet work for GPA, he has a clue and when ever I've gotten scripts I've been able to get them and take them to Fry's

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel