Space Aggression Incident

Guest NRN13

Thank you for your concern everyone. This has been such a hard decision, but we have decided to rehome Cleo :( Though she has some amazing qualities, I have a certain amount of fear with her now. I know that I will never fully trust her. I was in her space, true, but her response was severe. And she's gotten very protective of her stuff, not just her bed. We've had other growling incidents (some related to someone being near something of hers, and a few other odd times that were concerning). I could manage the environment to a point, but I would always worry about people in the house, new situations, etc. And if she bit again, and it wasn't a member of my family, they could report her and the outcome could not be good for Cleo. I want to protect her too. The adoption people were lovely and came out to the house and we talked for a long time. They were completely supportive and assured us that they will find a nice home for her. The behaviorist agreed, as did the trainer we use for obedience. Someone with more grey experience, or whatever. I just don't think I have what it takes to "fix" her and I would always be nervous. I wish it was different, but after all has been said and done, it's just too much.

She's still in our house while they find her a home or a foster. We aren't in a rush, we want them to find the right place. She is still loved (and spoiled rotten!)

Please no judging, I feel terrible, but think this is the right thing to do. Thank you all so much for the tips, advice, stories, and support. I really appreciate you taking the time to think about my situation and write a heartfelt response. This forum has been so incredibly valuable and supportive. I hope to be back one day.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Clawsandpaws

No judgement here! You did the right thing for the both of you. Do NOT worry about her getting re-adopted. There is the right home for every dog, and the right dog for every home. Our adoption group has dealt with similar cases, and each one was happily transitioned to a new home. Dudley snapped at my bf a few times in the beginning, and he was pretty nervous around him for a while, if he had bitten him, I have no doubt that we would have also rehomed him.

I am sorry that you had such a rough go, I hope you adopt another grey some day!

No judgment here. I know it is a really difficult decision and obviously one that you did not take lightly. Payton has growled and snapped a few times. I don't know what I would do if he bit someone.

61bd4941-fc71-4135-88ca-2d22dbd4b59a_zps

Payton, The Greyhound (Palm City Pelton) and Toby, The Lab
Annabella and Julietta, The Cats
At the Bridge - Abby, The GSD

Guest LazyBlaze

:grouphug I'm sorry it hasn't worked out for you and Cleo. Hopefully she can find a home that's right for her and you can find the dog that's right for your home. Don't beat yourself up; hopefully this hard decision you've had to make will work out for the best for BOTH of you.

Thanks so much for updating. It's a tough decision to have to make, but the right one to make sometimes. :grouphug

Agree. :grouphug

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan