Not Wanting Out In The Am - Andy Update

Guest AndyandMaggie

Guest AndyandMaggie

Andy has been with me for 2 weeks now. I posted this thread last week http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/302298-not-wanting-to-go-out-in-the-am-growling-and-snapping/.

I got some help from GLOHW, the group based in my city and we have been gone for some walks with 2 other greys. Andy does not seem that interested in them but it has helped me quite a bit to know how to react to him freezing and get him moving again.

So we have been making it out. He growled at me again on Sunday but he WAS laying down when I was trying to get him to move. As someone mentioned in the previous thread - I now know not to try to move him when he's laying. I get him up and then leashed and then proceed to move him out of the condo (not an easy task). He still doesn't like going outside. He actually no longer really likes coming out of his crate and it's getting more and more difficult. This morning I had to show him his bowl with food before he moved.

He did cut his foot on Sunday while we were walking. I cleaned it up and it seems fine but he is limping quite a bit (you would think he broke his foot rather than just cut it haha).

WHEN he does come up to me on his own, I give him lots of cuddles and attention. I try giving him snacks while we are walking - sometimes he will take them, sometimes he won't.

He doesn't get up when I get home and doesn't always come out of his crate on his own when I leave it open for a while. He occasionally does come when called but never out of his crate.

We are supposed to start going to basic obedience classes (positive reinforcement( next week.

My main questions are

1. Is his current behaviour normal? I know there really isn't any "normal" for them but close to it? He really seems depressed to me and the owner of the 2 other greys agreed that he is. The only good thing is that he still eating (touch wood) and drinking (only a bit).

2. Will obedience classes help? Is it too soon? I know I am not a very good "pack leader" since he's my first dog and I am still quite unsure of myself - especially since I don't trust him very much after the growling.

I also have fairly bad anxiety so I'm having issues dealing with the stress. I don't mean I freak out on him or anything, I stay calm when dealing with Andy. I guess I am just looking for reassurance that it does get better and that he will be worth this initial stress :(.

Positive classes should help. It isn't too soon. Don't worry about learning different commands and positions -- whole point right now is for you two to get to know one another and have some fun.

Normal vs. not: Some dogs settle in more readily but this deer-in-the-headlights routine is not uncommon.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest PiagetsMom

Just a thought, since your problems with him seem to be related to him in his crate, but is it possible for you not to crate Andy? Maybe use a baby gate to confine him to a smaller space with a comfortable bed if that's the purpose of his crating?

I started with a crate with all of my pups, but within a short period of time we discontinued using them in favor of baby gates and muzzles if needed.

Good luck with your training classes. They can only help - you with your leadership skills, and Andy with his bonding to you.

I honestly, 100% believe that he will get better. Two weeks is really nothing as far as settling in time; this I have really learned with my boy who has, over the past 9 months, shown more and more "I'm happy here" behavior as he has settled in. One must keep in mind that all their lives they have lived in one situation and now are in one completely alien to them. It's easy to panic a bit and think "maybe he can't be happy here." I know I sure wondered that at times with Rudy during his first few weeks. I'm really glad your group is helping you out.

I also think you should not worry about being a pack leader. Right now, I would just try as much as you can to set yourself and him up for success and not try to push yourself or him in uncertain situations. Try your best to relax with the knowledge that this is all temporary and will improve. There are a lot of great people here who offer wonderful insight and advice. :thumbs-up

Guest AndyandMaggie

I was told by the group coordinator that it may be better to crate him. I don't want him on my bed and that's the only way to do so right now.

He actually really likes his crate so I haven't been very quick to remove it.

Sambuca, how long did it take Bu to adjust?

I am really sorry it is so stressful. I do believe it will get much better. Payton had issues when he first arrived and he is getting much better. And he continues to change and improve all the time. He has only been here 10 weeks.

One thing I do want to say (and there may be a difference of opinion here) is that I don’t believe that retired racers were unhappy before they retired. They don’t need to be rescued. Even if they were unhappy, it will take a while for them to adjust to retired life. They led completely different lives.

Every single hound I see on GT looks happy and adjusted. However, I think that sometimes we have to change our expectations of what we think happy and adjusted looks like. My greyhound will never act like my lab, but that’s fine with me. He is not a lab.

Hang in there. We have all had some rough moments.

61bd4941-fc71-4135-88ca-2d22dbd4b59a_zps

Payton, The Greyhound (Palm City Pelton) and Toby, The Lab
Annabella and Julietta, The Cats
At the Bridge - Abby, The GSD

One thing I do want to say (and there may be a difference of opinion here) is that I don’t believe that retired racers were unhappy before they retired. They don’t need to be rescued. Even if they were unhappy, it will take a while for them to adjust to retired life. They led completely different lives.

Every single hound I see on GT looks happy and adjusted. However, I think that sometimes we have to change our expectations of what we think happy and adjusted looks like. My greyhound will never act like my lab, but that’s fine with me. He is not a lab.

Hang in there. We have all had some rough moments.

:nod I agree. I think it can actually be depressing and traumatic for a racer to leave that busy houndie environment with their set, predictable schedule for months and years and suddenly find themselves in a home with all these strange expectations and none of the structure they were used to. This is the hardest transition they will deal with in their lives more than likely, and an understanding of that helps I think. The Kathleen Gilley piece really brought that realization home to me when I read it the first time. http://www.gpa-az.com/gilley.html

I hate to be the only one to say this--but this really doesn't sound like the right dog for someone with anxiety issues who has never had a dog before.

You need a happy go lucky, "bomb proof" dog, not one that needs to be worked with since you don't know how to work on these issues.

No one should be fearful of their pet. This boy sounds like a relatively simple "project" for someone who is experienced with Greyhounds. Not a dog for a total novice. I mean you no disrepect. And I'm sure he's a nice dog. But even I found my Greyhound stumped me, and I had an entire lifetime of dog experience (48 years, at the time) never having lived WITHOUT a dog. They're just not like regular dogs.

George took 18 MONTHS to settle in. You're stressed that it's been a couple of weeks and things are still rocky. There are so many hounds who are bounced out of homes for no fault of their own and integrate into a new home as if it's nothing-that would be a proper match for someone like you.

Just my opinion.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Clawsandpaws

I hate to be the only one to say this--but this really doesn't sound like the right dog for someone with anxiety issues who has never had a dog before.

You need a happy go lucky, "bomb proof" dog, not one that needs to be worked with since you don't know how to work on these issues.

No one should be fearful of their pet. This boy sounds like a relatively simple "project" for someone who is experienced with Greyhounds. Not a dog for a total novice. I mean you no disrepect. And I'm sure he's a nice dog. But even I found my Greyhound stumped me, and I had an entire lifetime of dog experience (48 years, at the time) never having lived WITHOUT a dog. They're just not like regular dogs.

George took 18 MONTHS to settle in. You're stressed that it's been a couple of weeks and things are still rocky. There are so many hounds who are bounced out of homes for no fault of their own and integrate into a new home as if it's nothing-that would be a proper match for someone like you.

Just my opinion.

I have to agree to a point. I don't WANT you to have to return the dog, but both of you may be happier if you do. I would still try for a few weeks, but I think this dog is sending your anxiety through the roof. That can't be healthy for you, and that can't be good for the dog. Like Georgeofne said, it can take a lonnngggg time for some dogs to adjust.

Our group says "there is a right dog for every home, and the right home for every dog" this may not be the dog for you. Don't feel bad, don't feel like a failure. Our group is a track based kennel operation, we have no foster homes (except for senior bounces and seizure dogs) some dogs just don't fit your lifestyle! If he is scared in an urban setting, maybe someone outside of the city will have a home for him.

I am very lucky that my dog is essentially bomb proof. Yes we had minor issues at first, but all were definitely and obviously our problems, not his. (Bf, leaned on him while he was sleeping, duh, he got snapped at) Other than the first month, our dog is basically perfect. If I had a dog that snapped at us on a regular basis, I could not keep that dog in my home. In another thread in the training section, someone posted about your dogs "spoons" you should read it. I feel like your dog has very few spoons, and they are being taken away too quickly, and he is over his threshold for tolerance. This is not your fault, it just seems like not the best combo.

Edited by Clawsandpaws

I agree with Batmom: it's not too soon for classes, as long as you don't worry too much about positions (sits and downs). Think of it as an opportunity to work together and get to know each other.

I also agree that some hounds take far longer to settle in than others. It seems as though Andy may not as quick to settle in as some, but I'll bet he does with time and patience.

One suggestion: When he is out of his crate and you are home, leave a leash or line on him so that you can use it to help get him up when he's lying down. If you wish, you can get a cheap leash and cut the handle off the end so it doesn't get caught on anything. You can put your usual leash on before walks, once he's on his feet.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Might not work for you but if you tend to spend some evenings at home ... With a shy/reserved dog, I like to park myself on the floor with a magazine or book to read or TV to watch in the room where dog seems most comfortable; dog bed or nice blanky a foot or three away; pile of scrumptious treats (shredded poached chicken?) right next to me. I read and ignore dog. Sometimes it takes a couple days for them to come get the treats and nose around but they usually do ....

Another thing that can help is, when I come in from walking a new dog, we have a couple minutes of "dog grooming." Usually I'll squat down next to the dog (be cautious if he's been snappy -- you may want to hold his collar with one hand and/or bend over at the side of the dog), tuck the leash under my knee so he can't squiggle away and, starting at the shoulder, gently stroke all over -- down the back, along the ribs, down legs, tummy, etc. Most often we'll have a quiet little conversation while this is going on and a few very fine treats.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.