Tell Me About Kidney Failure-Update Post 9

Wonder

Thunder's CREA is high

July 2012 it was 2.7

June 2013 down to 2.1

July 2013 up 2.2

Retested today- results on Monday

I started him on RAW in July after the last test.

He also is on 3 AED's for seizures. The most recently added in June was keppra xr. When he started that drug, he went from peeing 3-4 times a day to 1-2 times a day. He has always peed a river when he does go so I think he's peeing the same amount, just not as often.

Today, took a urine sample. Vet said it was highly concentrated and concerned it's kidney failure. I did fast him and he did not drink any water this morning so not sure if that has anything to do with it.

What experience do you have with kidney failure?

I just can't bare to think about something else being wrong with him.

Edited by Wonder

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

You need to bring in a first morning urine specimen so that they can do a specific gravity. They also have to check the urine for protein (& glucose). May I ask why they didn't do these tests this time?

If you are concerned about his kidneys, you might need to re-evaluate having him on a raw diet as that is very high in protein and phosphorus and that will make his kidneys work harder.

My Larry has allergies and kidney issues and he is on a low protein diet for 5+ years now. He runs a slightly higher creat and a low specific gravity.

If his urine is truly "highly concentrated" that rules out kidney disease, and those creatinine levels are probably 'greyhound normal'. As others have stated, kidney disease results in dilute urine as the kidneys lose the ability to concentrate, which in turn leads to an increase in the volume and frequency of urination.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg