Polly And I Joined The Manuka Honey Fan Club!

Polly has had a recurring infection in one foot, which with systemic antibiotics and putting various ointments on it, clears up. But then it comes back. Last week, she cut that foot on something in the yard, and it looked really bad. When the vet was cleaning the wound, one of her toenails came off! She put more weight on it after that, but we needed something to put on the foot to promote healing. She reacted to the antibiotics, so we had to go the weekend without them, then change on Tuesday (her vet is off on Monday).

I'd been reading about Manuka honey here, and thought I'd give it a try. OMG, it is great! Her foot looks better than it has for a LONG time! I'm so glad I tried it.

But....is it always so expensive? My friend and I were looking for it at Whole Foods, and when I saw it, the jars were $32.99 and $29.99! I was so surprised I said, "Holy sh*t!" There was an employee standing right there, and he burst out laughing. He wasn't familiar with it's healing properties, and went to ask someone else who was. She said it had to be the Manuka, and not just the raw, which was $7.99. So I bit the bullet and got the $29.99 jar. I must say, I'm glad I did, but would the other, cheaper stuff be as good?

Edited by queenwinniesmom

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Sorry. As far as I know it needs to be the medical grade, expensive Manuka honey. And the higher the number, the better. WebMD has an article here.

But I'm not sure that a single jar doesn't save you at least that much money in vet bills, so it's a fair trade--especially since it often works faster (and better) than some of the vet's stuff.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Yes, it is always that expensive (I think it's because it comes from such a small area) but it is worth every penny, it doesn't expire, and you can often find small jars. If you find Manuka honey with a high UMF factor going cheap, it's probably a rip-off, so stay clear!

You can eat it too. Tastes wonderful! Supposedly good for sore throats and also kills helicobacter pylorii. However, it's a little expensive to be spreading on toast. :P

Good to hear that it's working for Polly's foot. I often recommend it and so often people leave it as a last resort and then wish they hadn't!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

It lasts forever, so you won't have to buy more. Welcome to the club!

Do her other toenails look ok? You wouldn't want to join me in the SLO club!

Hope she is on the mend!

Yes, the other toes look fine. I was worried about SLO too. I think the cut was right at the base of that nail. We think we located the culprit---a piece of sharp concrete at the bottom of the steps. Now covered! She's doing really well, thanks!

I did have a feeling it had to be the expensive stuff. Thanks for confirming that. When we use it, I scoop it out with a clean spoon, so just in case I want to eat some, it will be clean. It's delicious! And the jar is pretty big, so that's a lot of wound care for $30. :)

Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon

For upset stomachs, you can give it straight from your clean spoon. :) Or I'll make oatmeal, which is soothing to the stomach, and stir in a spoonful while the oatmeal is still hot, then let it all cool before mealtime.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

For upset stomachs, you can give it straight from your clean spoon. :) Or I'll make oatmeal, which is soothing to the stomach, and stir in a spoonful while the oatmeal is still hot, then let it all cool before mealtime.

:thumbs-up