It's Huge, What Is It?

I just noticed this on the joint above Mason's paw, clearly swollen. It's not bothering him, he's not limping and he's letting me poke and prod it to my Geary's content. Any ideas what it is? Obviously I'm calling the vet first thing in the am. Thanks for any insight you may have.

null_zps9903f9cc.jpg

And a cute one of him roaching just 'cause...

null_zpsc886d9ec.jpg

Looks a lot like Henry's spider bite. His was in the same exact place- right on that joint. It swelled up like the size of a tangerine. Only Henry did not want me messing with it. He was in excruciating pain and would not bear any weight on it. If it turns out not a spider bite, you're looking at some type of soft tissue injury. I imagine your vet will x-ray and probably give some combination of anti-inflammatories, antibiotics, and pain meds. But if it gets worse not better, and if the dog is in serious pain, INSIST on heavy duty antibiotics. Henry was on them for almost two months (and $1700 in vet bills later) because the infection from the bite spread to his joint.

Is it hard or mushy? Do you see any small puncture wounds or nicked skin?

How vigorous was his play today?

Very slight chance it would be a spider bite. My Harold had one on a foreleg. No limp, no pain, then it burst with blooding fluid draining out.

Yes, definitely check in with your vet.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Is it hard or mushy? Do you see any small puncture wounds or nicked skin?

How vigorous was his play today?

Very slight chance it would be a spider bite. My Harold had one on a foreleg. No limp, no pain, then it burst with blooding fluid draining out.

Yes, definitely check in with your vet.

:nod

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg