Pressure Sore

Poor Molly. I knew her elbow joint where the splint sits was bothering her so I called the vet and made an appointment to get it checked. I looked just now and there's something there (I'm guessing pressure sore). I touched it yesterday and got the GSOD.

Just now she was getting off my bed and screamed and cried in pain.

I gave her a pain pill to help. Anything else I can do for her until tomorrow's appointment?

It will only get worse the longer you wait. It needs to be seen sooner rather than later. I would probably take the splint off myself.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Also wanted to say the splint needs to come off now especially if he is trying to lick at the area. I had the same thing happen with a splint on Nadir's leg. It didn't take long for the splint to cause a pressure sore on his elbow, which then got infected. I didn't realize there was a problem until I muzzled him to prevent the licking. The next morning his leg stunk so bad from infection I was scared her might actually lose it.

There were some pressure sores starting but the vet said they didn't look too bad (I think they look horrible). She-obviously-took the splint off. I'm calling tomorrow morning to check in and we'll re-evaluate. I'm guessing since she's really good about not putting weight on her paw we're just going to leave the splint off and let it heal on its own. She's on antibiotics and has a long sleeve shirt on her leg to keep her from licking.

The good news is she got her muzzle off! :)

This dog is going to be the freaking death of me.

Oh, and she's down a couple of pounds!!! It's a good thing her brother, in the words of my kindergartners, is so "easy peasy". :flip

I'm glad they weren't that bad. My Opal developed sores under her splint and I was amazed and how fast they got worse in just a few days. Opal was switched to a soft cast but when that didn't even help, it was taken off and she did the last couple of weeks healing without any support. Luckily she held her leg up for most of that time.