Growling At Other House Dogs

Guest Katherineaz

Guest Katherineaz

We are going on week two with Prada. We are here second family but she has been around 5 cats (no issues), corgi (no issues) 2 Greyhounds (she did not like). Just last night and now this morning she has growled at two of our dogs. Last night my little guy was close to her space and she growled and barked at him to back off. She did not go after him, just warned him. Today one of the girls walked by her and she growled at her. Both times she has been on her bed. The bed is near a common walkway in the house, move to a more private area? Should I be correcting her when she does this? I really want this to work out but worry about my Cavaliers too. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated as I just don't want this to go on too long and for her to think it's okay. Thanks!

When we brought our broodie Frannie home she was very protective of her

space - only while laying down and not with us, with our male Ron.

Every time he walked by her, she'd growl - and again, only when laying down.

The first couple times she did jump up and give him the what for but never went

after him. I'd reprimand her for this. I didn't reprimand her for growling at him

while she was laying down.

It took a couple weeks and she was fine and quit growling altogether, although

she never wanted to be close to him. If he laid down by her, she'd get up and go

into another room.

Spoiled broodie mama.

Guest Katherineaz

Forgot to add....

yup, I'd move her bed for now. Let her be in a more private area for a while until she gets

accustomed to the other dogs a little more.

Going to do this for sure. Right now she's on the way to the backyard, doggie door and water dish. Thanks!

When you originally said you had five small dogs and were adopting a greyhound, I started thinking about my own dogs. While they're safe and appropriate with small dogs, they get annoyed easily. It would take either of them a LONG time to adjust to living with one. So while Prada is probably safe and appropriate with small dogs, keep in mind that she may be overwhelmed by all the action. As the others said, move her bed out of the main thoroughfare. Also, make sure she has her own space where she can retreat when she's feeling overwhelmed.

I agree with moving the bed to somewhere where she can observe the action but not be in the traffic path.

I would not reprimand her for growling. I know it can be alarming (Sweep does it to my cats on occasion, and it's always nerve racking), but it's how they communicate. If Prada learns that growling is bad, she might just skip it altogether next time and escalate to a snap or bite. As dogs, your Cavs know exactly what it means, and as long as they respond accordingly, there's nothing for you to correct. Moving the bed should help keep everyone in check though.

53827132849_248d9686fd_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart

Guest Katherineaz

Thanks everyone. My Cav's are very mellow except for my small 3-legged guy (he's annoying to everyone lol). My mix use to growl a lot when he was younger, he just wasn't as big as Prada. Everyone is pretty respectful of space but I do think moving her bed might help a bit.

Our boy Stewie will occasionally growl at out Pug and Rat Terrier (mostly the Pug) at certain times. Usually it's when they are getting close to his bed and usually he has a bone it or possibly a cardboard roll from a finished roll of toilet paper (he loves to chew on those). It's not a big deal and he is only telling them he wants space and we quickly get the small dogs out of the way. It's just his way of communicating not a big deal. I would agree moving her bed is a good idea.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I've shared this photo before, but I think it's a great example of where to put a bed if the dog is showing stress at being near the action.

zoeinacorner_zps684f9022.jpg

She has clear view of everything that can be near her, no surprises.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Guest Giselle

That's a nice looking cozy area! Just a caveat: Keep in mind that the more "secure" a place is, the less chance a dog has to escape. So, if a pup ever got cornered into that area and the other dog won't let up, be prepared to intervene and call the other dog off. Otherwise, a scared and cornered dog may begin to show aggressive behavior because it cannot flee from the situation. Bottom line: Go for cozy + secluded, keep an eye on the other dogs and call them off when necessary, and/or make sure the new hound has an escape route.

When I first adopted Princess, she growled and snarked at the other dogs for getting in her space and no one could lay down near her. She was a kennel favorite and came to me with a high opinion of herself and already pretty spoiled. :lol She got over herself. :D

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown