Worried Sick Over Dental

Guest Addie

Guest Addie

Sooooo... I'm sure a lot of you know that I lost Addie a year and a half ago to a dental. Well, we were fostering Logan at the time and we ended up keeping him. I have always been very good about brushing the dogs teeth (even more so after.....) So as luck would have it :( I have been battling with Logan's teeth, and it appears that I may have lost, I brush his teeth everyday and have been using the vetz life spray. They have just been getting worse, how is it even possible??? He has tartar but not a lot, some gum recession and it looks like a bottom tooth has a lot of recession and may have some root decay that I just noticed. I'm just sick over it! My friend (who is a vet tech at the clinic I go to) said some dogs are just like that and there is not much you can do other then slow it down.

So we have been going back and forth about how we can make it more safe for him (and me)? One thing she said was to not do a pre-med and just get it done quick. But what if he needs a tooth pulled? Could a local be used too?

Part of me says "DON'T DO IT YOU STUPID FOOL!!!!!" and another very small voice says "stop being such a baby, if you can't take care of him you shouldn't have him" :weep

I think you and your vet would want to evaluate what went wrong last time, painful tho that may be. Sometimes nothing goes wrong and a dog has an unpredictable bad reaction to anaesthesia. That happens in people too.

Some premedications may not be needed but some are and help to make the anaesthesia process safer for the dog.

You're not being a baby -- I'd be terrified, too, in your place. But, teeth do need to be taken care of and sometimes one does have to come out for the health of the dog. :(

Hugs and best luck with your boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

So sorry you lost Addie to a dental! That has been a fear of ours, too.

I see you're in Wisconsin. Are you close enough to Madison that you could have the dental done at the UW-Madison vet school?

Another thing you might try are Tartar Shield soft rawhide chews. These were recommended to us at Lana's last dental cleaning. Both our greys love them and they seem to be doing a great job at keeping their teeth clean.

I understand your apprehention to proceed but, his teeth are only going to get worse making future anesthesia times longer. Have a complete exam, full bloodwork (chemistry, CBC, U/A), blood pressure, EKG and possible chest rads done prior to your appointment.

Running all of these diagnostic tests will be able to check any underlying conditions that would predispose him to complications.

Ask questions--ask about pre meds (we like to use buprenex/atropine with ghs-avoid morphine!) and what induction agent will be used (ketamine/Valium or Propofol are options)--your vet should use what they are comfortable using. The latest induction protocol I like is Propofol/Valium -again, it's what your vet is familiar with and is comfortable using. I can't stress enough about asking questions-at our clinic we welcome all questions--will he be monitored by a second tech, blood pressures monitored, IV cath placed, IV fluids run, what type of antibiotics, monitored in recovery ( can not stress how important it is to monitor the blood pressure)......???

If extractions are required they should use a oral block (similar to what you would get)-that will ensure he wakes without pain. Also ask about to go home meds.

Hope this helps-I would tell you not to worry but, I'm sure you will anyway--it's a parents job (I do it well too) :-)

a friend of mine is anal about her greyhound's mouths. she brushes, the toothfairy scales them every 6 months and she really works hard at keeping them clean. well her older female lost most of them, her 11 year old male just had 25 removed, the 13 year old who she kindly adopted had many removed preadoption and just about the rest removed after she moved into her final home- my friend's cozy den for greyhounds. so, it doesn't seem to matter if you go crazy cleaning, maintaining, feeding raw(which she does). if you dog is genetically prone to loosing teeth, so be it. don't drive yourself crazy. no problem w/ the anethesia for the 13 year old- she has been under twice over the past 3 months! her 11 year old has thyroid, slo and other problems, he did really well- the next day chowing down on raw food. she didn't go to a fancy smanchy vet for the last rounds of extractions. an older guy who knew what he was doing and did a greyt job. all are doing well. she did opt for a long lasting shot of antibiotics for the 11 year old since it's a pain to pill him. the old gal has been on and off of various antibiotics since she adopted her. her bone in her jaw was infected, numerous absesses as well- what a mess. she's now happy, eating, going for walks and enjoying her new lease on life. dh lost his teeth due to bone loss and massive infections, he has never felt as good and looks wonderful. your dog will feel soooooooo much better after it's mouth is cleaned up and those kisses will be sweet and delish!

Edited by cleptogrey

Guest Addie

Thank You all for the information!!!! I feel a tiny bit better, now I just have to let my husband know what will have to happen. (he took the loss of Addie just as bad, this is not going to go over good) I've been mentioning how nasty his teeth are and he keeps changing the subject :(

I just wanted to say that I totally understand where you are coming from. I lost my girl last November after a dental. I, too, raw feed, brush, spray, yadda yadda yadda. My others have good teeth. Her, not so much. She had a dental a year before with no issues. That is one of the most horrible experiences of my life and it took me a long time to come to terms that no matter what we do (or don't do, depending on the situation) that sometimes it really is out of our control. I loved every inch of that brat and she loved me. THAT is what I keep in my heart.

Hugs to you.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow