Dislocated Toe, Perhaps?

Guest tbrodzel

Guest tbrodzel

Brynna was at the dog park with my parents tonight and when they came home I was asked to look at her back paw. Turns out her outter right toe is turned to the side and almost curled under her paw. I am wincing in sympathy pain.

I am pretty sure it is dislocated but need a vet to tell me for sure. The annoying thing is the emergency vet is over an hour away and way tooooo much $$$. I asked one vet and he said her injury is not life threatening and could be treated at a local vet tomorrow, he said to give her some asprin and make sure she doesn't move a lot. My Mom will take her to the vet tomorrow, but I don't know how much rest any of us will get tonight.

My poor baby, she keeps licking her foot. We brought her water dish near her so she wouldn't have to walk far.

I hope it is not something worse than a dislocated toe.. Anyone else have a similar situation? Anything I can do to make her comfortable till she goes to the vet?

Sniff

Anybody from your adoption group near by? Might be somebody who can take a look and pop it back in place for you. Isn't hard to do but it's easier to DO than explain. Hugs and best luck.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest tbrodzel

Brynna made it through the night ok, we did give her 2 aspirin for the pain. This morning we finally get a hold of our vet and she said to try somewhere else because she can't do x-rays. So now my mom is calling all around to find a vet to see her. I will let you all know the outcome.

No Aspirin please...... even the buffered version for kids can cause stomach bleeds.

Toe needs to be reset in its proper line and taped with a soft breatheable spacer to the next toe over and left for long enough for it to form a callus and get strong again. Easier with a middle toe as you can go both sides.

Your vet might want to check for tendon issues too and splint it. If that doesn't work then the poor dog may need to lose the toe.

So it needs to be lead walks for about 6 weeks and NO mad zoomie turns. Such a little thing... such a lot of trouble.

You really need to get her in somewhere. If the toe is dislocated it's very painful, but the pain can be relieved relatively instantly by putting it back in place. You're also potentially worsening the damage to the ligaments/tendons around the toe by leaving them stretched with the toe in that position. The alternative is that the toe is broken, which would be even more painful.

Any vet should be able to deal with this issue. Google maps is your friend. And if the vet thinks it's a dislocation, do ask him or her to let you watch them pop it back in so if it happens again in the future, you'll be able to rectify it immediately.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest tbrodzel

Brynna was seen by a vet in Luxemburg, he was recommended by our regular vet whom we trust greatly.

This vet in Lux has experience with Greyhounds and used to work on dogs at a local race track. Her back farthest right toe is dislocated (it is actually turned upside down and under her other toes), the vet said it is a non-weight bearing toe so he has opted to remove it to avoid future recurring dislocations.

This is all new to me (toes issues) so we are just trying to do our best for Brynna so she can be back home and out of pain as quickly as possible.

Thanks for all your concerns and suggestions.

Guest abbysmom

I wish you and Brynna all the best. My first girl, Abby, had a toe amputated when it started to dislocate on a weekly basis. She did well with the surgery, never missed that old toe, and (of course) never had any dislocation issues again. I wish the same for Brynna.

Laurie

Guest tbrodzel

I wish you and Brynna all the best. My first girl, Abby, had a toe amputated when it started to dislocate on a weekly basis. She did well with the surgery, never missed that old toe, and (of course) never had any dislocation issues again. I wish the same for Brynna.

Laurie

Thank you, that makes me feel much better. I feel very helpless and worry about Brynna. I want to do what will be best for her in the long run, but it is such a difficult decision to make. Glad to know she can still lead a long and full life without her one toe. She is going to be pretty put out that she can't go on any long walks or runs for a while. I will have to come up with some activities to keep her brain occupied so she doesn't miss the walks/runs.

Guest tbrodzel

Brynna is back home!

The vet that took care of her amputation was very kind and knowledgeable, and the vet staff were really good to Brynna making sure she wasn't alone when she came out of the anesthetics. As usual everyone at the vets loved Brynna and wished she could stay there longer!

Brynna is still a bit out of it with the pain meds, but I am confident she will be up and about and her old self in no time. (whew)

My parents were awesome and made a make shift ramp so she doesn't have to use the stairs to go potty outside.

It was a pretty scary and expensive few days but we are happy Brynna is home and hope she can heal fast and get to do what she loves again, walk and run!

Edited by tbrodzel

Hope she heals quickly and well!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest abbysmom

Glad to hear that all went well! I hope Brynna's experience is like Abby's. . . she won't miss that nasty old toe at all!