Eye Drops

Does anyone have tips of ways to give eye drops to greys more easily? Wendell is currently doing the trial to test to see if he has diabetes insipidus and he needs two drops in an eye twice a day (alternating eyes). The drops are supposed to be put into the lid so they are absorbed immediately. He tolerates it well enough, but squirms and I end up losing very expensive medication when I miss his eye. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

If you can manage a little squirming / head motion, try putting on a muzzle with some peanutbutter smeared in it, or smear a little PB on the side of the fridge just above his head level. Other method is to straddle the dog (you're facing the same way he is) and use your legs to gently hold his body in place so you have both hands free to control his head.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Hmmm... no real advice. Summit gets eye drops every other night for his pannus. He just lets me do it. Never moves a muscle. Probably because he knows he's got a good treat coming his way. It's part of his bedtime ritual. Teeth brushed and eye drops and then his bedtime snack.

You can use a wall to help you so that he can only really try to throw his head one way, which would just be into you.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Thanks for these tips! He is a pretty tall guy for me to straddle him, but I might give it a shot. He is so food motivated that I probably just need to find a treat that he loves and can associate with getting his medicine. He really isn't that bad and I normally do it with him lying down, I just get so frustrated when I waste a drop or two when the medicine is so stinking expensive. I'm sure with time we'll adjust though! Thanks again!

Guest ShanYu

Nike gets drops for pannus too. I have a treat in one hand as I hold his head and quirt -he is too busy anticipating the treat that he can smell really close that he keeps still.

• 10 months later...
Guest Gilly

My lil' dude, Day, is also on the eye drop treatment for his Diabetes Insipidus and requires 3x daily doses (6am, 2pm, 10pm). Fortunately, he is really cooperative about medicine time but his 8hr time schedule kind of worked out perfectly with sleepy time, when he's already relaxed... we just sit and talk quietly to him for a few minutes, lift his head for the drops and then he generally goes right back to sleep again. If you can time it close to nap times, this routine might work well for you, too. :)

Danger gets gel 4 times a day in one eye only. Generally I get him when he is laying down with no issues. But he is good if he is standing also. He gets a treat after every application.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

• 2 weeks later...
Guest FinnsMama

Finn gets eye drops in each eye once a day for dry eye. I use the treat trick too. I show him the treat and show him as I break it in half. Then i give him the first half, hold his snout gently, with the other treat in my hand and put in the drops. Then he gets the other treat.

He has gotten used to it over the years. He used to fight it too but now he seems to know he is going to get the drops, like it or not, then he starts sniffing for his treat.

Good luck!

They do get used to it pretty fast. I do treats after each drop, and put it on command: Pretty eyes! Try to keep the routine the same, reinforce the good behavior, and it's pretty much like teaching them any other trick.

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/