Melatonin, Prozac, Clomicalm Questions

Guest jbbuzby

I didn't read any one else's responses, but my SA male has been on prozac (fluoxetine) for a bit over a year, though we're in the process of weaning him off. It does take a month or so to build up and kind of just takes the edge off, but certainly doesn't solve the problem; it still takes a lot of training to work though. The book, "I'll be Home Soon" is worth its weight in gold and got us through the worst of it.

But it should also be worth noting that a vet recently recommended "Canine Calm" chews to us by Vetri Science. These have helped quite a bit, at least just as well as the prozac, and doesn't have any side effects and can be used more as needed. It is because of these that I have been able to start weaning him off of the prozac; you can get them for around $15 for 60 chews (if you get them from the vet, it's around $28 for a bag...def. get them online). I have been very pleased with them, and he loves the taste.

I wish them the best of luck! I don't wish the horrors of an SA dog on anyone.

Guest Bean_Scotch

Glad to hear he's improving. I can't really add anything more to what's been said, other than I rarely walk my dogs. They have a fenced in back yard and walks happen maybe once a year...so just because they can't walk him doesn't mean they aren't 'dedicated'...My 5 Greyhounds have no objections to not being walked. They prefer to sleep all day anyway.

Guest lucylei

I agree with Alicia. Iker's case seems a little different. For a dog to have a bleeding mouth from being crated because otherwise s/he'll destroy the house (or be hurt worse??), crated most of the time, no way to get enough exercise to get tired before people leave ... for two years ... this isn't good for the dog (or the people, of course). I think the person helping with this situation might try to gently prepare the owners for the possibility that the dog might be happier and healthier in another situation, while a different dog might thrive in their home.

Agree. It sounds like a situation that just isn't right for either party. It sounds like the dog has been very stressed for the past 2 years. To leave him crated all day and night and not have the time to exercise him...well I'm not surprised he's got some built up energy! I'm dealing with separation anxiety in my new rescue as well but I have basically reorganized my schedule to make sure she is well equipped and in a good state to deal with the anxiety.

Agree. It sounds like a situation that just isn't right for either party. It sounds like the dog has been very stressed for the past 2 years. To leave him crated all day and night and not have the time to exercise him...well I'm not surprised he's got some built up energy! I'm dealing with separation anxiety in my new rescue as well but I have basically reorganized my schedule to make sure she is well equipped and in a good state to deal with the anxiety.

The situation has not been going on for 2 years. It's only since they moved to a new home in December that the behavior changed from occasional to constant. He now sleeps in their room. The crate is there and he is not forced into it. He will go in/out on his own.

He is on prozac and the owners know it will take time to have an effect. In the meantime they are trying to walk him longer, making an effort to go home during the day and walk him, have given our support person/area rep a key to their home so she can make midday visits and they have been open every suggestion.

He had a thorough vet exam, labs and his mouth is OK.

He's on a path to becoming a happier dog.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I am late to this discussion, but wanted to add that a DAP collar worked wonders for Zuri. His SA was mild, barking when I was gone only for longer periods and initially he would pee in the crate or very rarely poop if he got really worked up and actually had to go. With the collar and good exercise/mental stimulation he is good. He'll sometimes still bark if it's an abnormally long day, but usually that's a sign that I need to change the DAP collar. A collar can be safely used alongside medication so I would recommend they try it. I believe they're much more effective than the diffusers since they're on the dog all day.

Also, if they find the prozac isn't that helpful, I really liked Amitriptiline for Violet. She had similar issues - could not be crated when I left as it just exacerbated her anxiety and she is reactive on walks when she sees other dogs (purely excitement/arousal, not aggressive in the least). Amitriptiline helped with both and we were able to make a lot of progress with our training. She's since been weaned off.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."